Sinister: as wise as an owl; possibly two owls

Jennifer Knutsson jk151 at xxx.uk
Tue Dec 10 14:52:24 GMT 2002

Well hello

These past couple of weeks have been a bit funny (like rough not just
amusing), so I decided to think of things that have made me smile
recently, as a distraction. When I went over it in my head, there is a
lot of fab stuff going on if you pay attention.

Firstly, Velocity Farewell included some Dexy's lyrics in her post
yesterday, from a song that I love. I ended up with it stuck in my head
all day, but in a good way.

My 5 year old cousin read me a story for the first time at the weekend.
It was Little Miss Wise. She had some trouble with some of the words but
essentially it was her doing the reading. Its unbelievable, 3 months ago
she could hardly recognise her own name and now she can read books.

The geese that wander around campus are still making me smile. They
sometimes walk in formation, like they are practising for when they fly
in those big pointy arrows or something. I wonder how they decide who
goes at the front? I suppose the biggest, toughest goose does it,
although it would be nice if they took turns.

I saw a minor celebrity whilst out shopping the other day. Well, not
really a celebrity, just someone from the summer's Big Brother, but I am
frighteningly obsessed with Heat magazine and so this was quite a big
deal for me. (I won't go into details as no-one outside Britain will
know who I mean... That's not even the point)

Also, that very same day, I found a record that I had been wanting for 4
years. S.M.D.U by Brock Landars... A bootleg of prodigys smack my bitch
up and song 2 by blur. I was just rooting through the bargain bin and
there it was, on single and priced at just 49p! Its not a collectors
item or anything, I just liked the song and never managed to find it.
Its been so long, I couldn’t even remember what it sounded like, only
that I liked it. And the good news is, I do still like it. I worried,
you see, when I got home. You know how it is when you remember something
as being brilliant, and then when you finally see/hear/smell it again
its not quite as good as it was in your head? But I still like it.

But possibly the most sure-fire way to make me smile at the moment are
the signs I've spotted in York. Yesterday, I saw an official road-sign
directing you to "Local shops", and another telling you not to let your
dog walk on the city walls, as well as last weeks "Pedestrians! Dead
slow" which I still don't quite understand. But I'm sure it is meant to
be helpful.

I'm not really sure if any of this is going to make anyone else smile
but maybe if you are feeling a bit down you could look out for similar
stuff in your life? Everyone knows, happiness is to be found at the
bottom of the bargain bin.

Jen
xxx