Sinister: I think it may all be getting sorted

Sean Howell seanghowell at xxx.com
Sun Dec 15 18:26:18 GMT 2002

Hello there dear Sinister,

*Introduction*

How have you all been?  I hope everyone has been exceptionally well.

*the first snowfall of the year*

A few nights ago brought the first snowfall of the year, around midnight it
started, and lasted until around 4p, the following day.  The first snowfall
of the year always seems somewhat magical, I suppose the fact that we don't
get appreciable snowfall terribly often here in Maryland likely has
something to do with that.  But either way, the other night ended up being
far more that just a cold winter night at my house.  I had a long
conversation with someone who I've only recently resumed being friends with,
and well, that made me very happy about the fact that I had been forgiven.
We shared what has been on our mind as of late, and well, it's been
essentially the same sort of things...I offered the best advice I could
give, which I still fear could have stood to be better.  That affair ended
at approximately 2:30am, and I promptly decided it was time for me to go out
for a walk and a smoke.  I had my first smoke on the porch, as I usually
do...but well the neighborhood just looked so beautiful, covered with a
fresh blanket of crystalline powder, and I decided that it was time for that
walk.  I walked down the dark streets, the only light being that reflected
from the seemingly distant street light's of my neighbors.  I've walked that
same path hundreds, likely thousands, of times, and never once has it looked
quite as it did last night.  Never before has it seemed so beautiful.  I
felt a bit guilty leaving my footprints in the snow, and I secretly hoped
that by morning they would be covered up by the still falling snow.  So I
continued to walk, and I had a couple of smokes, and I realized that things
all seemed to feel surprisingly right.  I haven't felt more like myself in
months.  And well, after I realized that, I decided it was time to turn
back, and head home to bed.  So I made my way back through the snow, and
once I got back into the house I nearly fell flat on my face, as well,
creepers with snow on the bottom of them on hardwood floors are rather
slick, and make for a bloody dangerous combination.  As I crawled into bed a
couple of minutes later, all the things that had been bothering me had been
neatly folded like my shirt, sweater, and trousers on the table beside my
bed.  The chaos of this past month finally seems behind me.  The chaos of
crashing my car 3 weeks ago.  The chaos of watching 13 years of a friend of
mine's life nearly burn to the ground.  The chaos of having two boys with
bad moustaches try to fight me for no reason whatsoever that same night.
The chaos of feeling like a bad person.  It had been made sense of for a
while.  Granted a bit of the magic has worn off by this point, but well, it
was still a nice experience.  I'm once again in contact with a couple of
people, whom I haven't spoken to in a while, and that is helping...thank you
both.  Friendships are being renewed, we are catching up, and well, that's
splendid.

*meeting and greeting*

Um, I will be in Boston at some point this winter break, staying with some
family, and would very much like to meet up with some sinister people while
visiting.  So any listees who are interested please write me, I'd be quite
happy to hear from you!  It will obviously be a bit too cold for a picnic or
anything like that, but maybe we could go to museums and out to dinner, or
something like that?  Also, and listees from the MD/DC/PA area, I'd love to
hear from you as well, since I'm here year round, and would of course be
into doing some hanging out.

*a break of the winter variety*

I have a scant two days until my semester is officially done for!  No more
exams, no more exceptionally lengthy papers, no more nights spent in the
library, no more walking around the University of Maryland campus and
exhausting myself....well, at least until the end of January.  The classes
I'm registered for next semester seem like they should be fairly interesting
though.  I'm starting to learn German, Taking a course on the history of
modern biology, a British history course, and a computer cartography for
archaeology course...fun fun fun eh??  This friday is the annual office
holiday party, which should be interesting.  Last year my housemate ended up
getting kissed by a very drunk co-worker.  I'm not sure how good of an idea
the combination of my co-workers and an open bar is...most likely, if
history is any indication, not a very good one.

*I think it's better to give and receive*

Hey, why not have your cake and eat it too?  I should be getting some extra
fun gifts this year, my mum ordered me a lovely set of Belle and Sebastian
playing cards, and the ever popular ampersand t-shirt.  I'm also
exceptionally excited to see what I get as part of the sinister gift
exchange.  All of my gifts for the exchange have been safely packed up, and
shipped off.  I'm dearly hoping that all packages will arrive on time.  I'm
sure they will, but well, I get worried sometimes, and I don't want any list
grudges to devlop as a result of the U.S. Postal service.

*the end...for now*

Well, I think that's enough out of me for now.  In the infinite free time
brought by winter break expect to hear lots more from this boy in days and
weeks to come.  Take wonderful care, all of you.
Love,
Sean