Sinister: I told the stars above about the one I love.

Sam Walton samwaltonyeah at xxx.com
Thu Dec 19 23:02:41 GMT 2002

Hello Sinister.

I was only 14 when the last ever Mark & Lard Graveyard Shift was broadcast,
but I'd been into it for a couple of years, and was sad to see it go. They
finished the show with Tindersticks' "Tiny Tears" (a great record - if you
haven't already got it, go get it), shivers ran down my spine, and then they
were gone.

Tonight, the legendary Evening Session went the same way. Although I hadn't
really listened to it for a couple of years, I thought I'd better listen to
the last ever one - a bit like going to the funeral of a distant relative
with whom you've lost touch - because once upon a time I adored that show.

Like a doddery old relative, the ES had, for my money at least, gone a bit
senile in the last couple of years, obsessed with any band that began with
"The", but when I came to pay my respects tonight, it was fucking wonderful.
Everything that the ES has ever got me into was there, from Britpop to hip
hop; Lamacq ended the show with Supergrass' Alright (another great record),
shivers ran down my spine, and then he was gone.

So yeah. All hail the ES - I'm sure I'm not the only person on this list
who's sad to see it go.

Having (albeit indirectly) had a go at bands that begin with "The", I must
say that I am quite taken by the Libertines' single. I haven't a clue what
it's called, but I've heard it five or six times now and it's great. It just
needs a big brass section, and then it'd really be one of the great Britpop
singles. Anyway...

I forgot all about B&S on Peel last night, which was really quite annoying.
I only managed to tune into the last bit of Get Me Away From Here, and then
I caught the new Christmas tune and the frankly brilliant Twelve Days of
Christmas. Does anybody have a copy they could share?

Aside from the final ES, I've been listening to The Divine Comedy all day,
in particular "A Short Album About Love". I'm currently in that
all-too-common predicament of unrequited love - in fact it's a crush I've
had for best part of a year - and "Everybody Knows (Except You)" has been
remarkably theraputic. It's the nearest thing to how I actually feel.

love,

Asm.x

P.S. Whatever
Happened to EE Fumblings?