Sinister: She's Got The World On A String

P F pinefox1 at xxx.com
Fri Dec 20 19:30:39 GMT 2002

It's SWEATER, mon, always SWEATER. As in -- 'Where's
your sweater?': prounounced 'sweader'.

THE BUTCHER, THE BAKER, THE BANKER, THE CLERK

>>> What would Irving Berlin say (I poured my heart
into you, son)?

I guess he'd say: so *this* is what you do when your
songs have dried up: you a) start actually playing
them to people and b) use mine.

What would Harold Arlen say? That's the question
Michael Feinstein has been raising on the radio. I
don't know HA too well, but Fitzgerald did do a
songbook of his work: come to think of it I have her
'Devil & The Deep Blue Sea'.

Correction, it was a *double* song-book. It's funny
how she uses the words 'so-and-so', isn't it?

CHOCOLATE FIRM

>>> I wouldn't have eaten seventeen advent calendar
chocolates at once, I think.

Even if it was a RANGERS advent calendar? This is not
a mere frippery, you know.

>>> In fact, I know.

Oh, OK.

NIL BY WALLET

>>> I got a zip. Check: zip.

Is this meant to carry the secondary connotation of 'a
cheque for zilch'? Or am I... reading too much into
it?

YET AGAIN THAT WOOLLY THING

>>> Always meet your heroes though - they say things
like 'I like your jumper'.

It's SWEADER, mon, I keep tellin ye.

KING COLE

>>> 'Brand New Friend'. !!

Here's a reciprocal tale: not long ago I was in a
bookshop, and in the mid-morning street outside a
vehicle passed playing... some brassy 80s noise. I
heard it distantly, affectionately, felt it meant
something slight to me. Those deep-coded reactions.
Then I realized it was 'Lost Weekend'.

Another: I heard the same track on the Janice Long
show, after midnight. What's going on?

As for 'BNF' itself: try the version on LOADED. I
think Quine is playing the whammy bar. And eating a,
um, MOUND bar in between whams.

KICK

>>> Have you ever tried to write a song based around
only one major rhyming sound? It's not SO easy. What
WOULD he say? (..looking for the tune..).

Fly-
ing too high
In the sky
With some guy
Is my
I-
dea of nothing to do

LURPAK

The lad Walton mailed and said he'd heard the last
Evening Session. Me, I heard a snippet, tuned away,
never realized I was missing history being unmade.
Only the lad Walton had that privilege.

O, COME

Some characters mentioned B&S playing some kind of
xmas radio concert. Naturally I didn't hear it, but
this actually sounds like a more than half decent
idea.

POEM

I am hoping for a sinister xmas post from la llew
aren't you?

ICE SKATERS

Literary criticism, that's what I really want to get
round to. That sentence ended with a preposition, a
poor thing.

THIS JUST IN

Next Friday Jimmy Webb - !! - will be joining Le
Feinstein on piano for 'a new song'.