Sinister: oh Sheffield, so much to answer for

andrew thorpe desolation_blues at xxx.com
Fri Dec 27 01:08:05 GMT 2002

Hey Sinister,

As soon as I put the phone down on the hook, and stopped trembling I grabbed
for a pad of paper and started writing but I couldn’t get past ‘hello
sinister’.  I contented myself with the promise that I’d write better
tomorrow when my head was clear.  It’s been 3 days, and it’s taken me 10
minutes to write this.  I find that I can only write about something after
it’s happen.  And it’s still happening.

As I put my pen down I went to my parents bookcase to look for Charles
Dickens ‘A Tale of Two Cities’, I had the line "It was the best of times, it
was the worst of times,” ringing in my head.  Have you ever felt so
exhilaratingly happy, and disturbingly scared at the same time?

Before I grabbed for the pad of paper I was on the phone with my    err,
well I don’t really know who I was talking to anymore.  (No, not my
girlfriend, but I don’t like to say ‘ex’ its not a proper word, I don't like
the way it sounds and certainly doesn’t reflect how I feel).  Her.  The
girl.  I think you get it.  After an hour of me rambling on about nothing,
she very politely, told me to go.  We talked about chocolates, the
Polyphonic Spree, Dostoyevsky, as if it were August, but the great extent of
the conversation was me just rambling on and on.  I was so anxious that
there would be an awkward silence – with the noise of each other breathing
the only sound to be heard, or a pregnant pause to an ill thought out remark
on my behalf, I just kept on rambling and rambling on, throwing any word in
sight down the phone.  I don’t think she minded, I don’t think she knew what
to say either.

It was so wonderful to hear her voice.  I could have just curled up on my
bed, and let her voice creep like a snake into my ears, actually I think I
did.  I didn’t really care what she was saying, it all sounded like music to
me, corny I know, but truthful.

I stood with the phone in my hand, my finger poised over the last digit of
her number for almost as long.  I was so nervous.  I couldn’t press the
button down for the shaking of my hand, or for the fear of her words (or
perhaps it simply was the vodka I was drinking).  What would she say, after
I pressed down 3.  Would she be glad I phone?  Did she hate me?  I wouldn’t
blame her.  I wondered whether she’d be in, or out enjoying herself,
forgetting about me.  I wondered who would answer the phone, her or one of
her sisters, her parents - would they recognise my voice, would they raise
an eyebrow, would they tell me to put the phone down?

What I thought about the most was myself though.  Was this the right thing
to do?  If I put the phone down I could still escape.  If I waited just a
couple more months perhaps the tears would stop, and then later the pain.
But I couldn’t last a couple more months, I could hardly last an hour.

Throughout the conversation I had to keep biting my lip, whenever she
mention university, her new life - her life without me.  I’d missed so much,
and what had she missed?  Nothing.  At the slightest mention of a person I
didn’t know, let alone a man I became insanely jealous, (and my lip very
thin,) but as quickly as we changed topics it evaporated.

Can I do this?  Can I be her friend, just her friend only her friend.  I’ve
spent too long with her to know anything else, to want anything else.  I
just want to hold her hand, hear her voice, but still...

Well it doesn’t really matter if I can or can’t, as soon as I picked up that
phone, no as soon as I sent that letter I pushed myself into it.  And I
can’t walk away again.

I had the grandest plans in September, but as September changed into
December all such plans had dissolved, and all I could do was write her a
letter.  For the past three months I’d been painting her a painting.  I
wanted to do the most honest, beautiful and poetic thing I was capable of,
but as is customary for me, I ran out of time, and all I had left was a
letter.  At the time it seemed like the most poetic beautiful thing I’d ever
read let alone written.  Actually, no it didn’t, but it was all that I could
think of, quoting from Byron to Nick Drake, and as soon as I clicked on the
SEND button what confidence that was left in my body vanished.

I checked my inbox every hour, even though I knew it would be empty
(sinister didn’t count at the time), but to my surprise she replied the next
day.  I was so ecstatically happy, but just as I was about to click on it, I
was overcome by a rush of fear.  I paced up and down the hall for about half
hour until I had the courage to open the damn thing.  As soon as I read all
two sentences of it the fear had streamed out of my body.  She said she’s
missed me!  Oh, joy!

I read it again, and again, and as I did the fear started to creep back in.
Why had she used the past tense, yes she missed me, but does she miss me,
how does she feel now?  And why did the first sentence emphasis ‘friends’ so
heavily, and why the passive voice?

I closed the window, I shut the computer down, I stopped thinking about it.
Until the next day, today, when I phoned her.  I had to phone, her I
couldn’t think of anything else to do, I had to do something.  But I have no
idea what I’ll do now.  I just hope I can remember how to be her friend

Sorry, I should have waited, my head still isn't clear

cheerio andy

ps terrible news about joe strummer,

pss I heard b&s on the radio, number 20 in the festive fifty not bad,
although I still haven’t made my mind up about the song, lovely trumpet
nonetheless

ppps yes, that was my poor attempt to include some content, sorry again