Sinister: east, west, home's best

Rachel Playforth R.Playforth at xxx.uk
Tue Feb 5 13:33:51 GMT 2002

well, i'm back from the grim north, where as friday's post suggested, i
did indeed get drunk with the york sinister massive (ysm), plus some
non-sinister people who probably thought we should be sectioned.  in
fact, before i even left for campus one of my hosts asked me how i knew
the people i was meeting.  the silence after i replied 'well, i don't
actually know them, as such, technically', spoke volumes.

anyway, as Reporting Back goes this will be sketchy, because i find as i
sit down to type that i can remember very little (apart from asm's
middle name which i will probably never forget - oh, it's not
'studmuffin' by the way).  guinness was drunk.  sinister gossip was
exchanged.  i listened to the official ysm band through a computer.  we
tried to get onto #sinister and failed.  i hiccuped.  there was that
strap-on incident.  i have a feeling that the meaning of life was
discussed in a kitchen, though i couldn't swear to it.  i do recall that
everyone was simply lovely, and not twee as fuck at all.  apart from
chris, who was, though in the best possible way :)

the rest of my weekend was marked by a) more drinking, b) enormous
amounts of food, all of it consumed as a hangover cure, and c) guitars.
there were four guitars in the house where i was staying, and none of
them lay idle for more than 10 minutes at a time.  luckily three out of
the four were played very well.

i also visited my married friends which was terrifying.  i mean, i know
i'm already co-habiting, but compared to their domestic bliss i look
like bridget jones.  it was like there wasn't a single chink in the
armour of the marriage where their single selves still poked through.
so, i left their flat while i could still breathe and went off to get
drunk again.

on sunday i went across to leeds for the afternoon and ended up in a
cafe where the proprietor, a large italian lady, felt it her duty to
start belting out 'o sole mio' and 'amore' as soon as a customer
appeared.  she also only spoke in italian, despite understanding english
perfectly, so no-one could tell if she was asking if you wanted milk or
telling you that the special spaghetti was off the menu.  it was quite
bizarre, and i was relieved to come out and see borders and marks and
spencer rather than the leaning tower of pisa.  although then i saw
stuart murdoch which freaked me out again.  of course, it wasn't
actually him, but it was only the fact that he was accompanied by a
group of what i suppose could be described as 'neds' that convinced me
it wasn't.

i finally got home yesterday and remembered that in 5 days i'll be
welcoming yet more sinisterines into my lair, i mean my lovely home town
of brighton.  yay!  the plan as far as it goes is to meet at brighton
station at 2.30, or whenever the sinister london-brighton express
arrives (?).  i propose that we then retire for a while to the george
pub at the bottom end of trafalgar street (sharp left and downhill under
the road bridge outside the station).  so that's where we should be if
you arrive later/not at the station.  lost souls can ring me on 07944
074873.  i'll say all this again on friday, because let's face it, the
rest of this post has 'delete me' written all over it.

see you soon!

luv archel xxx

Visit www.buzzwords.ndo.co.uk for the best new writing on the web.
Email submissions to buzzwords at bigfoot.com