Sinister: when in doubt, say "spacepet"

Kirsten Kenyon chinacat81 at xxx.com
Tue Feb 5 14:48:29 GMT 2002

  yesterday's wind was so dry and so bitterly cold that a warm drag
of my cigarette felt significantly healthier than the fresh,
unfiltered air that froze my lungs as i made my way up the hill to my
first class.  i just looked out the window, and today doesn't look
much better.  in the summer, i usually long for winter.  in the
winter, i don't long for summer but i do long to regain the feeling
in my toes.
  i've had an exciting revelation.  if i relate NUMBERS to WORDS, i
am not half bad at mathematics.  this occurred to me roughly fifteen
minutes into yesterday's lecture. it was glorious. i sat there,
beaming, as a shaft of exuberant light broke from the heavens,
bathing my little desk in golden brilliance and engulfing me in a
warm embrace.  i could be mistaken, but it seems to me that the
entire episode was accompanied by several passages of
handel's "messiah."
  **a bit of family shame:  my father, for as long as i can
remember, has insisted that we listen to the "messiah" in its
entirety on the way to my grandparents' house each christmas.  over
the years of restless cartrips (and brief engagements with various
chorales) every member of my family has learned virtually every word
and note of the whole damn thing, not excluding the complicated
arias.  when you know the words, it can be hard not to sing
along...yeah.  painfully lame.
  and almost creepy..  i can recall an afternoon...i must have been
nine or ten, my brother being seven or eight.  it was summertime, and
we were in the car in the parking lot of pick'n'save (i cringe even
as i type that most loathesome of names).  okay i lost it.  OH.  in
the car, listening to some vivaldi dad had put on for us and waiting
impatiently for him (dad, not mister antonio v.) to emerge and whisk
us away to a fun-filled afternoon at the whitnall botanical gardens.
i loved to look at the roses, and my brother loved to chase the
squirrels.  dad must have been in the supermarket for half an hour.
sometime during his absence, we grew restless and began belting out
the hallelujah chorus over the strains of the four seasons.  we were
getting to a really good part (and quite enjoying the dissonance we
were creating by singing one piece over another) when our father
opened the car door. my little brother and i looked at each
other, then stared at our dad and gleefully adapted the
lyrics "...and we shall wait and we shall wait and we shall wai-
ayayait AND WE SHALL WAIT FOR-EV-ER AND E-E-EVER!"
  my goodness.  looking back, it's now quite clear that my present
state of dorkiness is the cruel denouement of years of...dork
training.  right.  class.
  love
  kirsten

Care2 make the world greener!