Sinister: Its high tide again

LilGrape25 at xxx.com LilGrape25 at xxx.com
Wed Feb 6 14:23:06 GMT 2002

Good Morning,

First period free and I'm in the lab posting, trying to avoid the forced company of a particular twit named Reva.  Oh, the joys of routine!

David posted to reprimand us all on our consistant and shameful list abuse..and I couldn't tell whether or not I should hang my head in shame.  He also said:

"I don^Òt think I share the nostalgia for childhood that seems to be a common theme on this list. There have been ups and downs at every stage, of course, but the overall trajectory of my life is still heading upwards. Things, on the whole, get better every year. I^Òll be unstoppable at one hundred and three."

My nostalgia (though some would consiter me a child, I do not!) is mostly for the opertunity to be childish, something that is discouraged past childhood, but really does not have to be and should not be.  Why does a 6 year old have the priviledge of being creative and told everything that they produce is wonderful and beautiful, and not a 15 year old?  or a 30 year old?  or a 70 year old?  Why are children encouraged to imagine, to have fantasies and dreams, while the rest of us are told that we have to be realistic? Children are treated the way all of us should be, that everything they do- accept for things that are mean to others- is worthwhile. They are praised for their basic abilities. They are encouraged to listen and observe the world around them, and are taken to all sorts of interesting places, for the reason that it is part of their world and they should experience it.  When was the last time you went to a firestation or a police station or a post office or an aquar!
!
ium or a museum? when was the last time you really had time to look at leaves or pumpkins or the color of everyone's clothing or number of pockets in everyone's pants. We don't stop benefiting from these experiences once we are able to handle more complicated ideas!  I miss the opertunities of childhood, I miss being told that I am wonderful just the way I am, I miss being open minded enough to appreciate what everyone has to offer to the world.

Last night I had my mother's terrible vegetable soup and a fig paste sandwich.  It was one of the first truely painful vegetarian meals since I stopped eating meat a few weeks ago.  The rest of my family were having turkey and roast beef sandwiches, and I wanted one too.  I don't like cheese so there aren't many sandwich options for me any more. I started thinking of yummy sandwiches I could still eat to console myself, and here is my list.  Does anyone have anything to add?

peanut butter and/or jelly
fig paste
lettuce and/or onion and/or tomato
bananna with or without chocolate sauce
peanut butter and wheat germ
mustard
roast vegetables

oh dear, out of ideas and out of time!  Hope this wasn't list abuse!

I love you all,

Rachel Grapenut