Sinister: You May Needs Sweets to Swallow This

LilyWhite lilywhite at xxx.net
Wed Feb 6 17:03:24 GMT 2002

Allow me to apologise in advance for anyone who recieves this as a
cross-post, though I don't reckon it will be many... Just a post from
another list that I thought was particularly well put.
To put  a fine point on it... errr...
Subject:Open Mouth, Insert Elitist Arse

To:droneon at lists.no-fi.com

Firstly- allow me to raise my glass to kicking a dead dog, you lot do
it better than any. In fact, you almost make me wish I'd never joined
the list. I might have known that allowing me to subscribe without
being subjected to any severe hazing or beer ritual would be a clue in.
I think being a member is punishment enough most days (I say this with
love).
Am I to understand that, whether it's U2 playing the SuperHole or The
Ramones with Nissan it's  generally accepted that it's taboo for
professional musicians to get paid a wage (that constitutes a living)?
If this is the sort of truth you maintain I beg you to take note of
exactly how daft you look, you silly nay sayer you.
At last glance the entire point of becoming a professional in any given
endeavour is to make a living at it(granted some more substantial than
others). Otherwise, we'd all just be the bloke sitting behind a laptop,
tinkering that 37 minute loop to perfection with Pro Tools. I wouldn't
like the world as much then.
I more get the feeling that it's the level of integrity with which one
accepts said payment that is of particular concern.
In the event that I am right, I'd like all of you wee cogs, trapped
behind desks, performing menial, mundane tasks- having the same exact
phone conversation SEVERAL times a day, to the point of tedium, to
stand up. Stand up before the direct deposit of your wage comes through
and declare that this is the sum total of your life force and what was
destined to become of you OR protest every task, every phone call,
every sheet of paper or moment of your day that you feel was a
wasteful, insignificant or in vain.
Go on, put down your staplers, shove your mouse aside, put that call on
hold and demand what your worth(and see if there's anyone in the world
who agrees with you) or keep mouthing down every handful of shite that
comes your way and be thankful that it keeps you fed, fuckwit.