Sinister: I'd rather have a life than a lifestyle

JAMES GILMER patchworkz7 at xxx.com
Sat Feb 9 22:10:16 GMT 2002

"THE GIRL MOST LIKELY TO..."

The subject line comes from a conversation Elise and I were having eariler
this afternoon during a ramble around the city. We'd just passed two indie
boys who were so obviously indiekid poster children it was ridiculous when
I'd commented that I was glad we didn't look like anything other than two
stunningly gorgeous kids in love;

"I'm so sick of people who wear their lifestyles like clothes"
"Yup, I just likes wearing the pretty clothes and my Jimmy just likes
wearing clothes, period"
"I'd rather have a life than a lifestyle"

Elise did her own little sign-off post, and I suppose it's time for me to do
the same. Not that I don't enjoy Sinister, but it's not "Where I Live"; if
you take my meaning.

"Cuddleducks and Snugglebunnies"

Sinster is indirectly responsible for Elise and I meeting after all (no
crush list biz with us, long time readers will no I think the list crush
thing is a hideous idea). Hell, if I hadn't joined the list back prior to my
Europe trip last spring when I wanted concert info, I'd have never rode out
to the west coast to see the concerts or arranged a few Sinister picnics;
one of which would see me meeting up with a certain lovely young lady.

Let's not forget the lovely posts from the Queen of Kute; Miss Kirsten
Kenyon, or the utterly lovely posts from a certain Rachel of the Looping
Fruit.

Special mention must be made of that oddly quiet Southern Belle, the llovely
Laura Llew.

"FIRE MAKES DEAD THINGS TASTE GOOD"

Before I go I do feel the need (while still wanting to leave on an 'up'
note) to say just how much I loved the post that Lilywhite forwarded; "Open
mouth, Insert Elitist Arse" indeed. If we ever find ourselves sharing a pub
booth I'll buy you a round Lily. The wee spanking that Lily got for ruffling
some softskinned feathers convinced me it was time to be a-moving on.

"IN THE VILLAGE"

Amy Longcore is organizing a piccy-nic and all I can say is I'm glad I don't
have to do this one :)

Nah, I'm only kidding, I'd be remiss if I didn't say how much fun the
meet-ups and picnics were. Cheers to all who attended, and especially to the
brave souls who fought a Chicago winter to make the last one.

"WHEN I WAS A CHILD, I SPOKE WITH A CHILD'S VOICE"

One of the things I love about Elise is that, like me, there's a part of her
that's still the kid that shines through. She insists this is part of the
reason she loves me.

Listening to people complain about lost childhood you realize that it isn't
lost childhood or innocence that they're lamenting, but the fact that the
world no longer revolves around them, that they are no different, no better
or worse than anyone else, and that if they want anything in this world,
they're going to have to reach for it.

Those people are the children, emotionally immature and a pain in the butt
to deal with. Usually annoyingly manipulative to boot.

Then there are the people who somehow hold onto the ability to see the world
as someplace interesting and fresh. The ability to enjoy life, to live it
and taste it, isn't something that's lost when we 'grow-up', it's something
that's lost when we let our resentment at the world, at actually having to
act unselfishly, control ourselves.

I've always liked Sherlock Holmes for the reason that he must be the
ultimate child; able to find meaning and life and stories in the most
commmonplace objects.

Grow up and live.

"Karmageddon"

Ken said that Buddists are too at ease with the world and thus aren't
miserable enough to like the whiny lyris of Morrisey...

...and that explains SO MUCH about me and why I can't stand Morrisey.

(okay, okay; "Boy with the Thorn in His Side" is infectious as hell and
makes me want to dance, but I still don't care for the Smiths that much)

Yes, the Dali Lama does have Kenwood speakers in his sandels, kicking the
bass and feeling the harmonics of the backbeat of the universe shiver up his
spine with every step.

I love the Dali Lama. A religious leader who expouses tolerance and
understanding and live and let live and is just smiling all the damn time.
Someone make him take a piss test, the man must be high on something.

When people ask him what it feels like to be the Dali Lama he just smiles
that self-mocking smile and says; "Not famous, just monk...just monk"

...and I'm Just Jimmy.

I still think most religion is crap, but I respect the man and the
philosophy behind it.

"Walk to the Station"

Well, it's that time. I had more to say, but it suddenly hit me how
unimportant it was.

Here's what's important;

I have a new book to read.
There's the most beautiful girl in the world curled up on the couch in the
next room.
The Shins' "New Slang" is playing.
I feel like dancing with said girl.

Love and thoughts to Kirsten, ~stine, Fruitloop, Longcore, Llew (one of my
oldest and best Sinister friends, she's too good to me), and all the rest of
you lot I've forgotten.

"Love is..."

A peanut butter and honey sandwich and a glass of milk.

Trust me...it's a Zen thing.

Relentlessly,

Jim