Sinister: long work night=long post

amy.longcore at xxx.com amy.longcore at xxx.com
Tue Feb 12 06:08:30 GMT 2002

the sinister list, for me, is like a good album.
ya know those lps that that you've been able to
listen to anytime, anywhere and any year?
every song is good, or atleast listenable,
and has a few lines or so that really *click* with you.
i've taken the liberty of plucking out a few lines
from the list that have made me go, "yep, uh huh"
lately, and now i'll share them with you.

i'm really nothing more than a sap romantic who talks to puppies and paints
her
toenails while singing along with billie holiday.-kirsten kenyon
(by they way, were those jade monkeys you purchased the hear no evil see no
evil speak
no evil monkeys????)

It's always been a personal philosophy of mine that you
can't get from somone what they haven't got within themself to offer you-
and so it goes.-Lilywhite (I also like that other lists' post you shared
wiff us, i understand where you
were coming from. no harm meant.)

A few years ago I was out for the afternoon with some friends and I
realized
that I act like a tourist wherever I go.-Mandeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I create little stories in my head and follow them and elaborate
on them and repeat them day after day, like my own miniature
soap opera.-Jesse Chanin

I look down,alan's on my floor...-Danny Farrell (just kidding, lucy!)

too many to list without breaking a list mommy rule, but  you get the idea.
baker baker's been making bootiful posts. so has the stankin' boy some
call dave.  and then some, thanks for making the minutes i ponder by myself
more
worf while, kids. you all fit the following descriptions:
1) peachy
2) keen
3) tops
4) bitchin'
5) rad

i got my sini-valentine today, and i'm oh,so happy i decided to do the
silly-nilly lovely exchange. fun. and thanks and thanks and thanks
again....
one of the best mixes i've ever received from someone.         :)

i also got in my banchory order.
a good day for mail in the bachelorette longcore homestead.
i'll hang my tea towel next to my chili and spices tea towel.
the colors even go together.
i have the hippest kitchen in the midwest,
70's puke orange countertop and all.
my mother collects linens such as this, ya know, i'm quite tempted
to get her one.
for those who don't know what i'm speaking of, banchory offers a lovely
"belle and sebastian quality tea towel of industrial Scotland".
yes, they do.  as far as stuff goes, it's one of my favorite
new *things*.

*careless talk costs lives*

i got that in my order today as well.
and gosh was i brought back by stu's talk of the views
in Rio. Brazil is the only other country i've been to (aside from a tawdry
night in canada). I spent a month there at the age of 17,
hungry for an exchange student
i fell in love wiff in high school.

"I promised to go with Andrea to see the statue of Jesus
that stands over Rio....it almost makes me cry to see its face....
the sculptor has done a good job. We found ourselves up there
above the clouds, the condors, the helicopters, the city,  up there with
the statue's
calm gaze and outstrectched palms..."

there's so much to see from up there. if you look right across
you see the statue, clouds, mountains and trees and beauty.
you look straight down and see poverty.
i also liked his talk of the people there.
i hate to sound very cut and dry and that "americans are one way
and other nations are this way", etc.
BUT, most brazillians i've met have this unflappable
ability to spread smiles and joy.
they just seem to exude chear.
there is a distinct sense of pride,
even in the most brutal situations.
while going through the sao paulo art museum one
day, a group of school children in tattered uniforms
began following my friend escort and i.
crying "azule!" and "new kids on the block!"
i'm a standout in such a place, and i'm sure they
overheard our foreign speak.
red hair, blue eyes.
azule=blue.
the kids all wanted to know if i KNEW new kids on the block.
i ashamedly said "no" and wished i'd had treats to pass
out to their sweet, sweet faces. hugs and hugs abound.

driving home awhile later, i'm staring wildly at the battered
housing i see. unbelievable to my midwest country girl
eyes. friend escort points to an area quite resembling
hell to my pampered middle-class self and says,
"this is the district those school children are from,
up ahead you'll see their place of teaching..."

which reminds me of bakers' question,
"what makes someplace home to you?"

when i first read that, i wanted to hide under
the bridge by my favorite river stream here
and write a book about my town.
so small.
so close-minded.
but, gosh, the beauty i have surrounding me.
the manistee national forest is a bootiful thing.

my friend christopher once told me, years ago,
as he was moving to chicago,
"i don't care if i see another tree as long as i live."
one day last fall when he came to visit,
i took him to a stop along the river which
has a little floating dock you can stand on and
see the beaver swimming about...
and the frogs...
and the trees...
and the driftwood...
and the amazing color that autumn brings.
listening to the peaceful creaks, barks and chirps of nature,
he then said, "i feel like i'm being touched by the hand of God."

i call it the "essence of being blessed" when you
take in something that moves you that much.

i've almost taken up the sport of fishing just to have an excuse
to be outside more. i'm just no good at it.
i once caught a large turtle and couldn't handle the guilt
as i pryed the hook from his mouth.
gosh, i thought i was reeling in a very big fish though!

but do i feel at home here?
only in the very walt whitman sense of the words.

i can make a home wherever i feel loved,
basically. and i have done just that in a proper
city before.
i'll just always feel more comfortable around
lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of trees.

i have stories from this weekend,
but i've gone on enough.

i would like to know, though, how one would
obtain funding for a documentary.
do you just pitch your ideas and schemes
until someone bites?
or do you go ahead and fund yourself
then try to find a distributor?
what to do?
what i would like to do would entail
quite a bit of american traveling.
more pipe dreams perhaps,
but it's fun and it's what keeps life moving.

bye jim gilmer. maybe you'll write me one day.
hi ray and vicar and danny and #sini and bill and
paisley and all the rest of you sweet kids.
and stuff.

big chocolate chunks of love,
amyjacks

np: stereolab-microbe hunters

p.s. v!i!v!a!   la    r!a!c!h!e!l!s!   (archel, tape, got to you yet???)
p.p.s. can i post just once w/o mentioning friend christopher?
            prolly not.