Sinister: On the No 4 into town.

Sam Walton samwaltonyeah at xxx.com
Tue Feb 12 11:28:12 GMT 2002

Well hello Sinister.

Last time I posted, I said "I will not be a lurker. I will not be lurker",
but it seems that that's what I'm becoming. Ah well, let's see if this can
buck the trend...

***P...P...P...P...POP I...I...I...IDOL***
So yeah, that was fun, wasn't it? "No" I hear you chorus. Well, you're right
- it was a bit shit, but like most crap telly, it was quite addictive. I
only watched the last two shows, and they were pants, but I still watched
them.

I'm glad that Will won. Or rather, I'm glad that Gareth didn't win. Sure,
the guy's got a stammer or whatever, and I've got nothing against that, but
the shameless publicity that he pulled surrounding his stammer, and the way
he tried to turn it into some endearing gimmick basically stank, as far as
I'm concerned. I've got no problems with people with speech impediments, but
he was trying to trade on that fact. It doesn't really matter though, does
it? I mean, all of the PopIdol people have got record contracts now, anyway;
the only losers in the whole of Pop Idol were the mugs who phoned in and
voted...

***STORYTELLING***
I saw this last night, but I didn't pay $9, as somebody else did. It cost me
£1.50, and it was money well spent. I'm not really sure how to describe it,
but if it were a record, it would be something fantastically impenetrable on
Warp Records or Rephlex or something - very carefully created to be
*difficult*, but the kind of thing that I would imagine a few people
absolutely adoring. I did appreciate (I typed "enjoy" before, but that's not
the right word) the way that it imposed nervous silences and made the viewer
feel really uncomfortable throughout, and I liked the
self-forfilling-prophecy nature of the first story; ie the girl was writing
a shitty short-story and the class were ripping it to shreds, but the
short-story is actually the story protrayed in the film. I'm not sure if
that's justification for making a shite film, but I liked it anyway.

The second story was a lot better than the first though - mind you that's
not saying much if the first story was deliberately written to be crap. I
liked the ending to both stories though. And the song during the credits was
cool, too.

***MEETING SINISTERINES IS EASY***
Gina was talking about putting faces to people on the list, and how it takes
away a certain anonymity which characterises so much of this lovely place.
And I agree with her. But the problem is that it's a temptation too far.
It's like when you see a magician do a really cool trick and you really
really badly want to know how it's done. The magician tells you that you
don't *really* want to know, and then you pester him for the secret.
Eventually he caves in, and although it's now cool that you're in on the
secret, the magic of the unknown is lost. That's how I see it, anyway.

All that said, though, I wouldn't mind being a magician, and to be a
magician you have to lose the magic.

***LOW***
I've been getting into Low a lot. I got the "Christmas" EP for Christmas,
and I've just bought "Things We Lost In The Fire", which is equally
beautiful. But here's the request: What should I buy now? People say that
"Secret Name" is the best one, so maybe I should go for that, but any advice
would be fab.

***AND THAT'S ABOUT IT***
And that's about it. There was prolly other things I wanted to talk about,
but they pass me by at this moment in time.

I love you all, I love you all.

Asm.x

     "He's strictly a pain in the ass, but
      he certainly has a good vocabulary"