Sinister: Procrastination, Paczki and Paranoia

Stewie-Louie Ratatouille amourfoubaby at xxx.com
Tue Feb 12 21:28:51 GMT 2002

Procrastination:
So ... there is this big chalk board in my office that had some sort of
(American) football-related diagram on it when i moved in.  Today I decided
to clean it and use it as my own larger-than-life to-do list.  It looks like
this:

1. Finish grading papers
2. Edit submissions to journal
3. Prepare speech for Toronto
4. Prepare article for publication
5. Post to Sinister

OK, it doesn't look like that - it looks like a chalk board - but that is
what's written on it.  However, the fact that you have this post in front of
you should not be taken as a sign that I finished the other four things -
oh, no no no no no ...

Polish Paczki:
Have I mentioned that I lived in Poland for a year?  Though it was only
three years ago, it rarely comes up in conversation anymore.  The only
reason it comes up now is that - much to my surprise - people in North West
Ohio celebrate Paczki Day.  For those of you who don't know, this is a
traditional Polish practice that is the same as Mardi Gras, Fat Tuesday ...
whatever you call it, wherever you are ... and to take part you just eat
loads of jelly doughnuts (in polish: Paczki) on the Tuesday before Lent
starts.

When I was there, I ate about 15 of the things.  This was not (only) due to
my American eating habits but because every time I turned around, someone
was handing me one.  Of course, all my Polish friends gave something up for
Lent on the following day, unlike me).  I went out drinking - as usual -
that Paczki Day night and the bartenders were even giving them out to the
revelers.  While beer and paczki may seem like Heaven Version 6.5 in theory,
I found the practice to be less than agreeable.

Paranoia of Provoked Privileges:
I looked up twee on the internet and four of the links listed on my first
page of results were B&S related.  So ... I hope no one minds that I
substituted twee-full content for B&S content (I am fairly certain that
eating any pastry while drinking would be considered at least a bit twee ...
hmm ... did I mention I was wearing a light blue cardigan sweater at the
time?).  I'm not sure if this substitution is officially sanctioned
procedure but it does seem to be a fairly common practice.

This Post has been brought to you by the letter P,
Stewart

[Amour Fou is always illegal, whether it's disguised as a marriage or a
boyscout troop--always drunk, whether on the wine of its own secretions or
the smoke of its own polymorphous virtues. It is not the derangement of the
senses but rather their apotheosis--not the result of freedom but rather its
precondition.  - Hakim Bey]