Sinister: the 'irony station p.r. machine

Christopher David Johnson cdj01 at xxx.uk
Thu Feb 14 14:18:39 GMT 2002

Hi there guys, I usually sit very quietly and just observe whats going
on but that didn't seem entirely fair so i thought i might add a wee
contribution of my own.

I once read somewhere, an old 'select' i'm sure, that our man Stuart
used to be in a band with the purpose of druming up as much publicity as
possible without actually producing much music at all - i'm sure some of
you are bound to know way more about this than i do - but it got me
thinking how far you could take this idea.

So we could imagine a band, say my own favourite being the 'Polish Irony
Station' (the title of which i'm very proud of so hands off!) and we
could all start building this great aura surrounding it.  Imagine all of
us going to our favourite indie shop and asking for the new 'irony
station e.p. which 'is just simply brilliant', Or for all us brit kids
we could send some of those stupid and pointless messages that appear on
Teletext all the time whinging something along the lines of 'why does no
one on these pages ever mention the fantastic _______?'
So eventually we'd have loads of people out there desparate to hear
about the wonderful band now so familiar they are more commonly referred
to simply as the 'station, or even better as its acronym: the PIS, and
wow, there maybe even be some people so wonderfully sucked along that
they'd start to talk about the time they saw them at T or ATP or
supporting someone when they were just a wee small upcoming band.

So this is all very devious i'm sure, but i reckon its got a lot of
potential, and should our publicity machine really work we could even
form the band after a while.  That would be great, a band with over 1500
members - just think, more members than even B&S can cram on stage.
Wow, the mind boggles at these endless possibilities.

Just thought of another great thing, we could have all this publicity
and support for our ficticious Polish Irony Station sweethearts,
complete with loads of merchandising and then shock horror, we could
have the big split, over artistic integrity or something.  Yeah.

So i'll leave this open for some thought.
As for the Belfast Gig, i've not read many if any comments on their fine
rendition of Waiting for the Man.  That was pretty rocking but how
staged was it i wonder?  I was at the glasgow gig the night before and
was treated to a nice bit of 'Love'.  Pretty good I thought.  I also met
a man down the front who'd seen Morrissey something like 42 times but
only once as part of the Smiths.  Cool I reckon, and when asked he
replied that he'd 'only' ran on stage to kiss him once.  Well thats one
more time than most of us i guess.

So best wishes to everyone and now i'll return to the murky depths of
silence for a while, cheers, Christopher