Sinister: Who's lurking now?? Twice in a week!!

Stewie-Louie Ratatouille amourfoubaby at xxx.com
Thu Feb 14 22:05:06 GMT 2002

When I got to campus this morning (at the ass crack of dawn I may add) I ran
into this guy who apparently works in the office above mine.  He wished me a
happy Singles Awareness Day.  (I have been randomly chuckling about that all
day, much to the amusement and bewilderment of my office mates.)  The next
person I saw wished me a happy Comomdify Your Love-Life Day.  I just want to
say that I am in full support of this trend of open hostility to
manufactured holidays.

There, that bit makes this post relevant (it's still St. Val. Day where I
am).  But ... oh dear... I'm afraid this next bit may be a little dated.
And besides, I've already posted once this week.  See, I have written it
several times since realizing I needed to do it but none of them have come
out right.  I'll just try it this way.

(not so) Recently there was a post about how it is hypocritical for people
who have bad jobs to get mad at bands that sell their songs to adverts.  I
agree with the spirit of this but not the tone or the direction of the
anger.  For me, music is much more than what someone does for a living
(while I am aware that there are people who can do it full time).  There are
songs that once had great personal significance that have now been given
corporate significance (and in my world, the later cancels out the former).

But I rarely blame the band for this.  Fairly often, I assume, these
business decisions are beyond the bands control (particularly true for bands
that no longer exist: poor, poor CCR).  However, I have no problem raising
an eyebrow (and perhaps an angry fist) at record executives and advertising
agents (and all the other players) who sustain a system so powerful that it
can turn deeply sincere expression into a sales pitch for potato chips.  I
know that even I become one of those players when I buy the album, or the
chips or whatever but don't think I don't look for alternatives and take
them when I can.  I apologize if that is excessively dramatic or romantic
but isn't excessive interest in music - particularly the kind that you can
still get close to - the reason we all got together in the first place?

Damn, that still seems a bit more aggressive than I wanted.  Is it possible
to sincerely state a deeply held belief without compromising your twee-ness?
  I'll leave that up to you all ... I must be off to class.

Stewie Louie

[Amour Fou is always illegal, whether it's disguised as a marriage or a
boyscout troop--always drunk, whether on the wine of its own secretions or
the smoke of its own polymorphous virtues. It is not the derangement of the
senses but rather their apotheosis--not the result of freedom but rather its
precondition.  - Hakim Bey]