Sinister: But underneath I am the same as you

Andrew Barton amory1920 at xxx.com
Thu Feb 14 22:10:05 GMT 2002

Hello again.
  I decided after posting for the first time, to wait until I had something
interesting to say about B&S or my life, before posting for a second time.
Well, I can't guartantee that this is going to be interesting, but I've
started now and I don't intend to stop.
  Last week I took my first trip to Scotland. My family and I stayed in
Ediburgh for four days, and one of those days I had been looking forward to
for a long long time. That was the day I would take a day trip to Glasgow.
The town I live in back home (Eugene, Oregon) always sounded very similar to
Glasgow, from what I had heard about GU and the places around it. I always
thought, "Take away the great indie scene, the scottish accents, and the old
buildings- and I'd be right at home." Maybe it was the quirkiness in
Stuart's short stories that gave me an idea of what it might be like, or
maybe it was the idea of standing in the same city where all those words and
notes were dropped into microphones and played to me thousands of miles
away. All I knew was that I wanted to go there.
   When Stevie put up the article he had written welcoming students to
Glasgow my imaginary Glasgow sort of started to seem like it could be what
the real Glasgow was like. Before I even first arrived in London in early
december, I begged my family to let me take the train up and see the gig on
the 20th. They decided it was too close to Christmas, and the same day one
of their friends was coming to stay with us, etc etc. But in return I was
promised that I would get there sometime within my 4 months in the U.K.
   Well, I went to Glasgow. And I loved it. I followed Stevie's instructions
almost to the letter (I didn't need to know everything was going to be
allright, I was already having the time of my life, so I didn't down a large
orange juice in a oner) and had the veggie breakfast at the Grosvenor cafe.
I shopped at some great record stores (much to my delight I found both the
'Eighties Fan' and 'Your Sound' Camera Obscura singles). I walked around the
University campus. I had coffee at Beanscene and was reminded of my favorite
coffee house back home, the place where I have the fondest memories of being
with the friends I'm away from now. I could go on and on about how those
simple things made me happy, but I think that's enough.
   My best friend, the one who introduced me to B&S, is coming to visit for
10 days on Saturday. I'm looking forward to it imensely because he's
exceptionally flaky, and is incapable of writing much in an email, so I
haven't heard much from him since I've been here. But when he's around we
ramble on about music and books and girls and how shitty high school is for
hours on end, and I'm in need of that just about now.
   I'd like to thank a lot of people on Sinister for telling stories that
remind me of things I've done, and talking about B&S the same way I would,
and recommending such wonderful things to check out for myself. When talks
of The perks of being a wallflower were highly afoot my interest was sparked
and I wandered into a bookstore, picked it up, and couldn't stop. It was
just perfect. Youth In Revolt and The Catcher In The Rye- only twee... I
also want to thank Tom Pettinger for introducing me to more delightful indie
bands that can occupy my cd player for hours on end.
   "On a bus stop in the town, 'We rule the school.' Written for anyone to
read, and to see."

                           Thanks for your time,
                                              - Andrew