Sinister: as for me, i wish that i was anywhere, with anyone, making out.

lindsey baker halighhalou at xxx.com
Mon Feb 18 23:14:46 GMT 2002

hello sinister.

i saw him for the first time in six months on valentine's day, of all days.

i decided that day to walk myself and my miniskirt right on out of poetry
class at the break. i tightened my scarf around my throat, and snapped up my
red jacket. i had to have a bit of v-day glory, i thought, to balance out
the all-black attire i had chosen for the godforsaken day.

i left the building, walked into the february air that for some reason feels
more like late march. early spring. when things are supposed to breathe and
lift up and out of their hiding places. but i know it's still winter and
still february because everything is shrouded.

i decided i'd finally break down and buy my first pack of fags. nobody likes
a bummer, really, and i can only charm so many cigarettes out of people with
my flashing eyes and teeth. i don't know why i smoke them, really. maybe
it's to look cool, to be a part of the scene. i have written that i like the
dizzy feeling they leave me with, like i have just kissed a forbidden boy,
and my chest is tight and heaving with restraint. but the boys taste better.

i started the walk from campus to downtown, the first time i had ever
ditched in the middle of a class to walk somewhere. i suppose somehow since
the diagnosis i feared my feet wouldn't work for long enough to carry me
that far; they did. i called paul to tell him why i had been crying eariler
that day when i ran into him coming out of the union. the tears were still
stinging, and he told me i was too worried, too silly. and too good,
besides.

and i walked in circles along the sidewalks, streets of cobblestone of which
downtowns in nebraska are so fond. i walked past the photography shop where
i bought black and white film for my photo class, past the coffee shop where
mandee and i defiled a bathroom (well, really mandee. but that's just
because she's a delinquent like that.) and i retrudged half the path i
walked with the boy about a month ago. actually, exactly a month ago
tomorrow.

and then. about a block away from the cigarette shop. i saw him. trying to
get my attention, waving his hand and grinning like we had just parted ways
that morning for class. i told paul goodbye, and closed my mobile, and cried
as i ran to him, saying that on that day, of all days, i should see him.

he always gave me good, long hugs. and he did then. he asked me how i was,
and we attempted, feebly, to catch each other up on lives led apart and away
and together. we sought each other, then, for the people we knew, but i
think we came up with new people. haunted people. i told him i had been
asking about him. but had heard nothing.

he told me he didn't do drugs anymore. and i cried again.

he walked with me, told me what he was doing, that he was happy. i told him
about this summer, about my confusion with the way things are. he told me he
had dropped out of college, was working and reading and in love with a girl.

i told him i was jealous of him.

and then he told me he was getting married, and for a moment or two, there
on the street, i wondered why he wasn't marrying me.

next month, he said, and the two of them are going to the justice of the
peace. he walked to the cigarette shop with me, and directed me to the
french kind he always used to smoke when he went out with me. for a long
time, i looked only at his mouth, and thought how his life was so governed
by it, and how, for a while, it had governed my life, too.

we walked to his car, a new one, and knew then that we were parting again. i
didn't want it to really be the last time, and maybe it won't be. but it was
the end, then, of something, and he held me for too long and not long
enough, just like he always did. he apologized for ever being a burden to
me.

and i told him he never was. that i loved him. that i still love him.

and he said he loved me. and that i was amazing. and then.

he was gone.

i took the damn pink lenses away from my eyes, so they wouldn't get streaked
with mascara. i didn't know when i would stop crying, then. i walked back to
the paper without my glasses, and for the first time in a few weeks, i
really saw.

i used to always say to marc that i believed in the cliche. it is better to
have loved and lost than never to have loved at all. in the last few weeks,
i said damn the cliche, because it isn't true. love is overrated, right? and
who needs it. not me. so there. it is better to have always been alone, to
never know what it is to love, especially when the love will some day be
taken away.

i didn't think i could really live with a heart so broken.

but then. i saw him. and i knew this valentine's day that i really had loved
marc the way he wanted me to all along. we both knew it thursday, and i was
glad of it.

i remember last year he told me if he had money, i would have had flowers
and candy and all manner of crap valentine's day items. but because he was
poor, all he could give me was that he thought of me always, and i was never
alone.

and i told him that was enough.

and it was. and it still is.

and even if i never have love for long, or miss it when i do have it, it is
better, after all, to have had it at all, even in its smallest measure.

message to bron: love, my suggestion for you is to ditch class and take your
worldly backpack for a walk through the nearest downtown area. not a remedy
for living life the way you are supposed to, but certainly a temporary
band-aid for the wounds of the real fucking world.

someday, we'll wish we did have someone around to tell us how everything
works, because figuring it out for ourselves just hurts too much.

love, lindseylou