Sinister: Interview

Kieran Devaney antipopconsortium at xxx.com
Tue Feb 19 21:59:33 GMT 2002

Recently, my friend applied to Oxford University to do maths. They gave him
an interview because he got good AS grades and was predicted good A level
grades. So he went off to Oxford all prepared, he even did a couple of
practise interviews in school to make sure he had the interview technique
down to a fine art - he was told that even though maths is quite a
straightforward thing to interview for, he should still try to be witty and
engaging and put across his personality in the interview. On the train on
the way down he read through an undergraduates maths textbook that his maths
teacher had given him, and was happily unphased by the complicated equations
and graphs he saw. He knew his maths, he knew how to do the interview, this
would be a cinch. When he got to Oxford there were lots of other people
there for the interview too, talking to them he noticed that they were
confident, with the odd hints of nervousness and awkwardness, much like
himself he thought, not much to worry about in terms of competition then.
When the time came for his interview he strode into the room with an air of
casual confidence, but inside he found that he was more nervous than he had
anticipated, his legs felt quite shaky and his head was fuzzy and a bit
unclear. The room was long and imposing, typical Oxford University, a faded
dark red carpet, plush, the walls lined with shelves full of leatherbound
books, hard dark wooden chairs, a gilded ceiling. At one end was a large
desk, behind which three stern looking figures sat, two greying men and one
greying woman.
"Sit Down" said the man sitting in the middle, motioning to a chair some
distance away from the desk, my friend felt as though he would have to shout
across the room to be heard from this distance - was this some sort of
assertiveness test? Should he ask to move the chair a little closer? No.
Don't be ridiculous, they don't play tricks like that here - but his head
was still swimming, if they asked him a question now he wouldn't be able to
answer it at all,
"You are Christopher J______, yes?" the man asked in a severe tone,
"Er... yeah..." my friend squirmed "... But before we carry on, I was
wondering if I could tell a joke, it wont take long?" My friend knew that
this was a rubbish stalling tactic, but he needed time to get settled in,
compose himself and focus properly on maths before he could start properly -
and besides, the practise interviewers had said that humour was sometimes a
good icebreaker if you aren't connecting with the interviewer, and he
certainly wasn't. The stern man in the middle looked at his colleagues who
sort of half shrugged,
"Well alright, go ahead" he said in his stiff, cut glass accent, and then my
friend remembered, he didn't have a joke planned, his mind worked on
overdrive to try and think of something for a moment until in the heat of
the moment he came across a vaguely maths related joke in the back of his
mind,
"Ok..." he grinned "Why was six scared of seven?" he said weakly, and
insantly regretted it. The man in the middle again scanned his colleagues
faces, blank.
"I don't know" he replied glibly, staring coldly at my friend.
"Well... er..." my friend knew this wasn't going well "...because seven
eight nine" he blurted, and for some reason this punchline, so long embedded
in his subconscious, relegated to the 'trite and unfunny' drawer of his
mind, struck a chord and he suddenly found the stupid pun absolutely
hillarious and he started chuckling away to himself in that hard wooden
chair in the middle of that imposing room. When he regained control he
looked up at the three interviewers. They sat stony faced, unmoved by the
joke, almost with an air of disgust about them. The greying woman wouldn't
meet his gaze, she shuffled with some papers and pretended to write
something. The man in the middle held it though, contempt and disappointment
in his eyes.
"Right." He said, with what my friend knew to be a hint of 'you've failed
already, you might as well just go' in his voice,
"Shall we begin?"

The rest of the interview progressed sedately, my friend unable to find even
a semblance of enthusiasm for the questions they asked, and the inerviewers
the same, it was a farce, he had failed before he had even begun. Six weeks
or so later a glib letter confirmed the rejection, and though he had never
really wanted to go to Oxford in the first place, a bullying headmaster
hungry for reputation had cajolled him into applying, he still felt sad that
you can never be well prepared enough for something.

- Kieran