Sinister: In the land of the epic, a mere novella

Liz Daplyn lizdaplyn at xxx.com
Wed Feb 20 18:57:16 GMT 2002

“Float like a butterfly,
Sting like a bee;
Drink like a fish.”

As Mr Cassius Clay would have no doubt said if he’d had the nonsense he was
born with, oh yes.

**

That good old chap Rainer Maria Rilke, however, wrote that

“We are bees of the invisible.  We madly gather the honey of the visible to
store it in the great golden hive of the invisible”

  which is very true, although there is sometimes a bit of a defecit in the
quantity/quality of the honey available, or at least seems to be until you
shut your eyes, breathe deeply, then take another look.  Hmm, very
Pollyanna, but never mind.  The sun and wind seem to have become
inextricably conflated into a single entity today and have blown away the
cobwebs with vigorous light.  Also I made a cracking Thai soup for lunch.

**

You see the best things from the calmly floating top decks of buses:

“Bursting from Bucks into Oxon through the high giant’s footstep of the
Chiltern Gap, the plain below spread out in submission under the fresh hazy
February sun and planing away palely into the distance all around like
graded layers of chiffon.  Hot air balloons rising slowly slightly to the
north of the busy weekend motorway.”

Which is all that fits onto one page of the cute wee notebook that I carry
around with me in case of an emergency prose attack.

**

Watching shoddy daytime television, in the course of 10 minutes of just one
home makeover programme, the soundtrack contained “Pink Moon” by Nick Drake,
“Don’t Falter” by Mint Royale (feat. Lauren Laverne) and something off “The
Hour of Bewilderbeast” by Badly Drawn Boy that I can’t remember the title
of.  Weird.  Is there some mighty peculiar mechanism in action that makes
the quality of TV ever more crap and conversely makes BBC sound editors
ever, well, sounder?  Anyone here from the Beeb who can enlighten me?  If
this carries on I’ll be requiring a mute button for the images.  I believe
it’s called ‘radio’.

**

Phone phobics of the world unite: You have nothing to lose but your Best
Friend Discount!  This affects moi aussi, although doing temping work has
helped immensely.  Crikey, one can now actually call people one doesn’t know
and retrieve meaningful information from them.  How quaint.  But there is
still a certain kind of moist panic that springs from the palms of my hands
when I am required to make a call without forewarning and the attendant
thorough mental preparation.  Yecch.

Anyway.

  Love
    Liz :x

Currently considering listening to my mother’s copy of Radiohead’s “Kid A” -
the only copy in the house, for I am a tad tired of whinging, however
beautiful.  But still.

--
Habitual contempt does not reflect a finer sensibility.
                                          Jenny Holzer