Sinister: Spring Onions, Beans, Jeans

Kenneth P Y Chu pykachu100 at xxx.com
Fri Feb 22 12:41:54 GMT 2002

.. Would be a possible shopping list for someone shopping in TESCOs.

The more I think the more I get disturbed by the prospects that one could be
obsessed with the supermarket, but I think I am.  Especially the huge ones,
because they're so huge, and that someone had built it.

Sometimes I walk along the town I would look at the brickwalls and houses
and bridges and imagine when they were being built, and how proud they must
feel that they made something that would probably still be there in 100
years, or if they're lucky be found in godknowshowlong later by some
archeologists who'd think that the underpass through a dual carriageway was
some religious shrine and that there's some divine meaning to the words "KEN
WOZ ERE".

But after thinking that, the empire of reality would always strike back, and
I'd remember about that smelly nob of a bricklayer who jumped to the bar in
front of me, and any kind of romantic thoughts would immediately cease.

Anyway, I digress like lava at the end of archetypal volcano movies, I was
talking about supermarkets, well I had a bit of adverture there last night,
first I picked up some spring onions, and carefully placed it in one of
those clear plastic bags, and tied one of those clever knots that you do to
clear plastic bags, placed it in my trolley and carried on shopping.  Bought
all the essential ingredients for making a curry, like curry powder, and a
crate of beer, and went to the check-out.

I parked my trolley neatly at the end of one of the check-out queues, until
an old lady decided to park her trolley aloneside, in parallel with, and
right next to mine, so very naturally as if it were a normal, rational, and
sane thing to do!  It was so weird, but I remembered that sign on the London
Underground that said "Please give up your place to the elderly and thus
mentally insane", so I moved myself onto the next counter without an
argument.

Okay okay I moved because I was cared of her because she looked like an evil
version of Dot Cotton!  She's probably a brick layer.

I bet it was one of those prank TV shows where they put unsuspecting people
through weird situations and see how they respond - I always get paranoid
about being on one of those shows and so I always have to make sure that I'm
absolutely on my own before I do embarassing things like picking my nose
then biting my nails (um, I'm joking here) - if you see a pretty Chinese boy
on TV getting bullied by an evil looking version of Dot Cotton of
Eastenders, that'd be me.

BUT that's not the main story, the main story is that when I got to the
other check-out, and put all my shopping to the CBP: Conveyer Belt of
Payment, MY SPRING ONIONS DISAPPEARED!  I looked everywhere for it, and it
was nowhere to be seen, and I checked every inch of my trolley and there
wasn't a gap that my poor green produce could have fallen through.  So I
concluded that it was either:

1) magic
2) an I.S.O.T. - INTERNATIONAL SPRING ONION THIEF
3) I was on one of those prank shows where they steal spring onions off you
and see how you'd react - if you see a pretty chinese boy looking like a
grade A plonker rummaging through his shopping, that'd be me.

Never mind.  A good thing that happened today is that my temps agency gives
out free sandwiches and crisps every Friday, and this afternoon I have
received some of the most bizarre flavours of sandwiches and crisps, namely
"Chicken and Stuffing Sandwiches", and "Spring Onion flavoured crisps"?!

On the Ingredients of the Crisps it said...

Ingredients: Potatoes, Vegetable Oil, Spring Onion Flavour (Maltodextrin -
salt - dried onion - sugar - dried yeast extract - dried whole milk - dried
yeast - potassium chloride - flavouring - sunflower oil - malic acid - dried
garlic - wheat flour)

Yes, I think the I.S.O.T. had got them too.

Spring Onions and Red Bulls
Ken