Sinister: back in the u.s.s.a

stacey dahling dahling007 at xxx.com
Mon Feb 25 17:34:55 GMT 2002

  I woke up this morning with the biggest reality hangover. I am no longer
in Greece. I am not even in London. I am in my tiny, constricting childhood
bedroom in Johnston, Rhode Island. It is 6 a.m. and my dad can be heard
quietly getting ready for work and his pre-work daily church visit. My mom
is still snoring, but within minutes will be up fluttering around the house,
cleaning things that are not dirty, making my waking hours miserable.
  I don’t think living at home has ever been worse. It’s a combination of
things, really. First off, I haven’t lived at home in... years. Secondly,
I’ve just returned from the most free, independent living situation ever.
And I’m acutely aware at all times that I should still be in this situation,
if it were not for overzealous customs officials and possibly Fate, who has
a sick sense of humor.
  In addition to this, I believe my mother has gotten more anal, if this is
in fact possible. This is a woman who rushes over to the kitchen sink after
you have used it so she can wipe it dry; it’s stainless steel and must be
preserved so it maintains its gleam, see. No sooner had I set foot off the
bus and hopped into her car than she was matter-of-factly informing me that
I am not allowed to leave the house unless my room is immaculately clean.
And there has already been an inspection. An INSPECTION! I was home a total
of two days before I had to escape to western Massachusetts to visit my old
stomping grounds. Before I left, my mom came into my room and almost had a
heart attack when she saw the disarray of my SHOES in the CLOSET.
Apparently, each pair should be lined up perfectly and symmetrically. You’ve
got to be kidding. No. When I returned last night I discovered she hadn’t
stopped there. After I left, she came in my room and rearranged things. She
even took the bath towel I had draped over the door handle for drying and
quick access and hung it in the closet, on a hanger, like a nice pair of
trousers.
  Ack!
  My reality hangover is especially horrid because I fell asleep last night
after spending hours getting gloriously giddy looking at trip photos and
giving them silly captions. (These photos are, incidentally, online and
ready for your perusal at two locations: http://photos.yahoo.com/dahling007
under the album labelled sinister - also includes previous sini photos, so
forgive me if you’ve seen em. Or www.geocities.com/dahling007/photos10.htm
has silly captions, but may take awhile to load and sometimes is down I got
a little tear in my eye seeing Ken’s graceful bowling release and Nick’s
hip-swaying Elvis karaoke number.
  Don’t fret. I don’t intend to make this an enormous trip wrap-up reporting
back post like last time I was in the UK. Because now that I am back in the
land of isolated listees with no picnic potentials, I can again sympathize
with the jealousy and misery these posts can produce. Suffice it to say, I
had a fantastic time and met loads of wonderful people who have truly become
my friends. And I miss them terribly. It was especially nice because it was
a UK visit I was not exactly planning. I had eight days to pack all my
things and reassemble my life after learning I was being forced to leave
Greece. So each activity was unexpected and none disappointed. Karaoke,
bowling, ice skating, beach huddles, arcade games and lots and lots of
drinking - all did wonders taking my mind off the not-so-pleasant realities
of my situation.
  But of course, now I can no longer avoid them. I managed to, for the
weekend. I talked my mom into letting me borrow my dad’s brand new car -
even though I am not insured and haven’t been behind the wheel for 10
months; quite a feat, eh? - and sped away to Northampton. Seeing old work
colleagues and sources was more gratifying than I thought possible. No one
was expecting to see me. They were all shocked. And thrilled! People jumped
out of their seats and ran up to hug me. I was pulled in every which way;
everyone wanted to hear what had happened to me. I felt so loved. Really. It
was touching. I went to the police station and courthouse, where I had spent
so much time hobnobbing with cops and criminals alike, and was met with a
similar reception. I almost cried. We like to think the relationships we
make on the job are real ones, but are often disappointed to learn that they
disintegrate almost as soon as we leave. But this was not the case at all.
Even the waitress at the lunch place across the street remembered my order.
  Also awaiting me at the newspaper was a letter from a man who had been the
subject of an article I had written shortly before leaving. He was a brain
injury patient who had been struggling for five years to leave a
rehabilitation center where he had been placed for a temporary visit. All he
wanted was to come home. But the government wouldn’t let him. It was a sad
story, because the guy had so much hope, and I had to dash it all by
contacting the government and finding out he had absolutely no chance of
ever getting out. Well, turns out my article changed that. Apparently, some
senator read the thing and got so upset he advocated on this guy’s behalf,
and he has now been released. He wrote my editor, saying: “It is recommended
that Stacey Shackford receives a substantial raise in pay. She did a
wonderful job writing a story about my struggles with the state. It worked
and I’ll be moving to Pittsfield. I’m a happy man. Thank you, Stacey.” Aww!
There is no greater reward than that, really.
  The short trip did wonders cheering me up about being back home. I saw old
friends, went to our old bar and laughed until my sides hurt as a sports boy
with an overpowering Boston accent ranted about how he’d rather have sex
with chicken than a man. I went ice skating, shopping and gossiping with a
girlfriend. I had breakfast at an authentic sugar shack, where my pancakes
were smothered with maple syrup ladled directly out of the cauldron boiling
with sap dripping in from the trees. I had coffee with my favorite professor
and idol, who gushed over me and suggested we collaborate for an article on
comparative media ethics for an academic journal. (I also had a mini
Sinister meet-up, with the lovely Andreea, and spent nearly three hours
talking non-stop about the bunch of you! Ha.)
  And then I returned here. And what awaits me but a week that promises to
be full of stress and anxiety as I do laundry, run errands, begin the job
and loan search and try not to kill my parents. Sigh.
  I guess I shouldn’t complain too terribly because at least there is an end
in sight. In August, I shall be returning to Glasgow, and there I will stay
for at least a year. I will be reunited with all my wonderful new friends. I
will once again be free. But until then.. oh, it will be torture. And
motivation to get my ass in gear and make sure it all happens. Oh yes.
  Anyway.. that’s about it on this front. Thanks to everyone who was so
spectacularly supportive during my difficult time. And to those who
entertained me/put up with me while I was in Sinisterland. Huge hugs and
kisses and ghetto shout-outs to y’all.

MWAH!
~dahling

ps: I seem to remember Ms. Kara Jean putting a call out for any Boston-area
listees who might fancy a pre-show meet-up. I’m not sure if there’s been a
response (I haven’t actually read the list in a month, admittedly) but there
should be! I’m game. And there’s a UMass-Dartmouth boy who better be getting
his ass there as well. And I bet there are more. Anyway.. if Kara Jean
hasn’t volunteered her services as picnic mummy, I will.
pps: apologies to all those to whom I owe email. eventually.