Sinister: i'm not going anywhere, but i don't care, i think that's FINE

Kirsten Kenyon chinacat81 at xxx.com
Mon Feb 25 17:52:45 GMT 2002

  i must not have been fully awake as i drove to school this
morning.  all i could make out were vague shapes, outlines of cars
and trees and golden arches through the heavy snow and through my
eyelashes, as my eyes refused to open completely until i was about a
mile from the university, at which point i found that i was staring
at the grimy rear end of a silver tank mounted on a truck.
 the tank's contents were made clear by the lettering on the back
(assuming, of course, that the tank contained MILK and not "up
yours"), and soon i was considering what a delightful piece of video
footage it might make if i were to accidentally crash into the milk
truck.  snowflakes, grey exhaust and a surging, bubbling wave of cold
white milk rushing over my windshield.  it would have gone quite well
with the music playing, and the mental image of smooth milk and
broken glass was something shockingly exquisite until i realized that
the tank was made of steel and my car is a piece of crap, and i would
surely lose consciousness on impact and miss the whole thing.
  so i turned up the radio and passed the truck, sped up the hill and
parked outside westview hall.  a westview, a northview, and a
southview, all bleak panoramas of drab rooftops and gravel pits.
there's no eastview, because east is just a parking lot.
  i was carefully making my way up the icy steps when i heard
something terrible.  i noticed a tiny trickle of something running
past my feet.  i doubt it was milk.  i looked up to see a scrawny,
snowflake-studded boy seated at the top of the steps, hugging his
knees, his narrow shoulders shaking at the pitiful noises he made as
he vomited down the steps of westview at 7:58 on a monday morning.  i
felt last night's vodka stirring in my stomach and came dangerously
close to joining him, but when my mouth opened, all that came out
was "jesus."
  i handed in my research paper about illiteracy in america and spent
about forty five minutes watching pierre's adam's apple slide up and
down as he rattled off a monotone monologue about mla citation
procedures, vital information i thought we had all learned in the
eighth grade.  i nodded from time to time.  i drew beautiful ladies
and tapdancing ice cream cones and milk trucks and adam's apples in
my notebook.  some guy inquired as to pierre's office hours, and he
practically jumped out of his nine-weeks-from-retirement skin as he
eagerly recited the hours.  the girl next to me, peering at pierre
over the heavy, black rims of her glasses, leaned over and whispered,
  "oh my god, look how excited he is."
  and i nodded, because he was obviously immensely pleased that
someone was showing interest in an out of class consultation, but i
felt just awful because someday i'll probably be nine weeks from
retirement, wearily reciting pages of the mla handbook to snotty
college students who vomit on monday mornings and wouldn't think
twice about wasting milk.  no matter how many times you repeat the
rules, there's always one dope who neglects to alphabetize his works
cited page.

  love
  kirsten

Care2 make the world greener!