Sinister: West Sussex wanderings

Rebecca Wright rwr at xxx.uk
Tue Feb 26 17:28:01 GMT 2002

Oh, Caitlin out did me on the deer spotting train journey, whilst I
only saw one standing in the wasteland outside Reading station she was
blessed with a whole family. I don't think anyone else saw mine, I
audibly gasped but managed to refrain from pipping"oohhh, look deer!"
to the podgy commuter tapping away on his laptop opposite me.

Any long haul train journey passing through a substantial length of
countryside during daylight hours provides a prime opportunity for a
game of 'Rabbit cricket'. Every rabbit spotted en route counts as a
run, each station stop is a wicket and the entire one-way journey
makes up the innings. My advice is to allocate your preferred team the
journey occurring early dawn or late dusk as those are good rabbit
spotting times.

I spent the majority of my waking hours this weekend on a
train/waiting for a train/worrying about absence of train. Stepped off
one at 9pm Sunday night to the announcement "This is Havant, you're in
the middle of f*cking nowhere", or maybe it was just "change here for
Guildford" I can't be sure. (apologies to any Sinisterees living in
Havant, it's probably very nice when one's not cold, disorientated &
hungry). Earlier I'd sat for an hour at Arundel station in the drizzle
talking to a retired jockey on his way from the stables to an empty
house in Bognor. I gathered the most important thing in his life was a
horse by the name of Smarty (and it was one!). I got blue at that
point and haven't been able to shake it off since.

Sarah Beckett wrote:
'I've been a serial lurker for quite some time now and, like 'strange
boy on
swing' in the endearing 'prospero's books', I am no longer content to

occasionally piddle into the great sinister swimming pool. I want to
dive
right in.'

Hi Sarah! Another Peter Greenway fan, hurrah! Don't s'pose if any of
you lot remember but in my first post I resolved to be more like the
skipping girl off 'drowning by numbers'. I've been to one sinister
picnic/party and planning to go to others, what I really need now is
my own Smut to be condescending to- self inflicted circumcision
doesn't have to be on the criteria.
Well, without further ado here's my list of stars:
Kochab
Polaris
Eltanin
Thuban
Enif
Bellatrix
Vulpecula (little fox)
Izar
Peacock (that's right, peacock!)
Caph

A nice little pick 'n' mix of stars, no? I recite it on my bi-daily
trudge over the Thames when TomPaulin gets drowned out by the wind &
traffic.

bye now
Becky
xx