Sinister: inadequate austrian sock suspension

sarah beckett tillythetealady at xxx.com
Wed Feb 27 16:43:41 GMT 2002

Dear Sinister,

  I'm having a bit of a bloody men bloody buses day. Last year at uni I met
this guy..we'll call him 'g', which is actually what everyone called him
because no-one attempted his real Austrian name...and he was lovely, if a
little peculiar at times (shaving his legs, wearing things called sock
suspenders which I'd never heard of before and which looked frankly
ridiculous- apologies to any traditionalist listees).
But after about a week of going out with him he started criticising me. one
day we went out for a walk and he put an expensive suit on, and sunglasses,
and I laughed and said I felt like I should be wearing a dress, and he said,
'actually that would be nice occasionally'...and then he started on about my
trouser legs having the wrong circumference and my hats not fitting...these
kinds of comments are easily overlooked when the person making them is
generally a bit eccentric, but when I properly thought about them I didnt
like it one bit and I went right off him.
Anyway, I've been complaining for ages that I can't find anyone here to fall
in love with, or who will fall in love with me. And now, suddenly, after
weeks in the wilderness, I am being persistently followed by someone I don't
like that much, mainly because he says 'bad-boy' and 'hardcore' with
startling frequency, I'm constantly tip-toeing round someone else who can't
decide whether he's interested in talking to me or at me... and The Austrian
is flying to England to convince me that we should rekindle our
clothes-centric relationship.

On a happier note, aforementioned boy did give me a Joni Mitchell CD as a
present- I'd never heard any before- and the songs have completely dominated
my last week or so. Joni can be a very silly woman inasmuch as some of the
lyrics are very contrived-'smog' rhymed with 'cog' on Woodstock is a very
special moment- actually there are better and sillier examples but I cant
remember them. But some of the songs are so beautiful and so uplifting, and
you can tell she just did whatever she wanted. That kind of
un-selfconsciousness is really inspiring. I think I listen to CDs in the
same way I read books- that is, I listen to them over and over and over and
then put them on the shelf and forget about them (a habit broken only by
Belle and Sebastian and Take That). Someone once told me he repressed that
instinct and only allowed himself one listen per week or whatever, which
seems a strange mentality to me.

With love,
Sarah