Sinister: I should be sincerely sorry to see my neighbor's children devoured by wolves

Laura Llew lleweth at xxx.com
Thu Feb 28 03:57:27 GMT 2002

"Oh, I remember this song. My favorite part is coming up... the end!"
--comment from my "friend" when I put in Belle & Sebastian's, Stars Of Track
& Field on our roadtrip.

A few years ago, at the desperate request of their parents, I went on a (oh
so very long) roadtrip with someone who was severely mentally ill. I spent
the entire trip having to wrestle my stolen car keys from them, keep them
from jumping out of the speeding car on a busy interstate, and talking for
hours persuading them to get back in the car in Montreal, again in
Pennsylvania, and then in Upstate New York as they resolutely sat hugging
their knees refusing to budge. AT LEAST, they liked listening to Belle and
Sebastian though!

Solo roadtrips are the way to go, my friends.

Before I go any further, I would like to send out my public thanks to Miss
Jenny Payne who organized the Sinister Valentine's Day exchange AND gave me
yet another beautiful mix to which I listened to while driving down to
Charlotte to pick a friend up from the airport (the exact same circumstances
which I listened to the first mix she gave me. Tradition! Now, if only I
were a rich man...) For the first time ever I had my very own boy for
Valentines! ****AND**** (if I read Sinister posts correctly) he has a
girlfriend! This makes me more of a brazen hussy than everything else
combined -I'm excited! Of course, poor VD boy he said that the USPS
standards were good enough for him so as long as I didn't send along bodily
fluids it was OK. Well, there went my ideas! Oh, I suppose I should thank my
Valentine, Mr. Michael Vance too - for the chocolate and CD. Also enclosed
was a recipe for a chocolate covered boy though sadly boy wasn't included.

Michelle Ruiz mused:
>I also want to get a pet of some kind (not a dog or a cat..yet) since I was
>a deprived child and never had one. Maybe a >turtle or an iguana
I thought the same thing so for my 23rd birthday I asked for a pet turtle
since I love them so. However, turtles are illegal to sell in North Carolina
as they carry salmonella or some such (does this mean that they make
mayonnaise from turtles?) but after much searching we were able to find a
BLACK MARKET turtle dealer. I was so excited. I even bought a Turtle Owner
Handbook where I read that the each time you take the turtle from one
environment (like it's little turtleworld aquarium) to another (like the
carpet of my bedroom floor) that you shorten it's life span. I really
couldn't justify making a poor turtle's life shorter just so i could play
with him so I opted not to have a turtle. Thus, I'm now 24 and have never
had a pet though I'm very seriously contemplating getting a Bookstore Dog. I
would need something on the smallish side (though not tiny - just nothing
huge) that doesn't shed much or bark obnoxiously. Plus, it should look sad
and brooding so I can call it my Proust Pooch. Any ideas?

Love & Lime Jello,
Laura

VOCABULARY WORDS:
Brazen Hussy 		Proust Pooch		Salmonella
Desperate Request	Chocolate Covered Boy	VD

STUDY QUESTIONS:
1. Why do you always hear the words "brazen" and "hussy" together - never
separately or mated with another word?  Have you ever heard just 'brazen'
used when not followed by hussy? The only examples I could find of "brazen"
used by itself were by a mass of dead guys - Shakespeare, Joyce, etc.- who
might have been benefited if their brazens had a little hussy action
involved. Why do you think this is so? Should we change our use of tired
cliches before they become too mottled and rusted? Do you think this is an
appropriate place to start?  How does Gilded Hussy sound to you? (Note: That
is not, "How does a Gilded Hussy sound to you?" This is not an offer.)
2. Are you, like me, for anything that's followed by a hussy? (woo!)
Evidently, hussy is a corruption of "housewife" (in more way that one, eh?)
3. A new product I just got in the shop is a kit for putting on a
Shakespeare play (Taming of the Shrew) in 45 minutes with cards for each
character. For example, there's one for Gremio which reads, "You are old and
rich. No woman under the age of seventy is even going to consider marrying
you. But don't let that stop you. Money can solve almost any problem.
Possible celebrity role models: Mr. Magoo, jimmy Stewart, or Ronald Regan."
The one for the Lusty Widow reads, "You have only three lines at the very
end of the play, but you can use them to show that you are a fiery woman, a
handful for any man, and probably too much for Hortensio to handle. Shake
your mane of flaxen hair (there's a wig included in the kit!) and unloose
your inner vixen."  How would a card for each of the following go - a brazen
hussy, a chocolate covered boy, and a proust pooch?