Sinister: A short word on ornithology

Rebecca Wright rwr at xxx.uk
Wed Jan 2 12:24:15 GMT 2002

Felicitous salutations to y'all on this the new year and the dawning
of my time out of the nursery. Guess how many times I nearly but not
quite slid over and fell on my arse whilst walking through this frosty
winter wonderland on my way to work?!
The highlight of my hols was Friday when I saw Courtney Pine down at
the jazz cafe in Camden, I had a copy of 'Fold your hands child..'
with me- recently purchased at a late nite record store when we found
we'd shown up 2 hours early. Started off with a jazzy version of
Nirvana's 'Come as you are', the rest of the evening was just a joyous
noise for my untrained ear but apparently there was some Zeppelin and
others entwined within.
The rest of the time was spent watching late night Hitchcock with my
sister, 'Rear Window' makes it almost possible to forgive James
Stewart for 'It's A Wonderful Life' plus I had forgotten just how
wonderfully papier-mache the villains of 'The Birds' were.

And now a loud cheer for the wonderful people at RSPB or National
Trust- whoever it was who now has my home town swarming with red
kites. At first it was all top secret and only Mr Gibbons the farmer
had any confirmed sightings but on one of my bored, post A-level
rambles lo' above one hillock was a big eagle type bird with that
concave tail kites have! For a good ten minutes I watched it until
*BANG* both of us jump. What sounds awfully like a gun echoes for a
second time from the house at the bottom of said hillock. A mental
picture- red faced tweed infested Berkshire farmer "Ge' Offw my
Lan'!!", some evil bastard who deserves to be hung up by his toe-nails
has been poisoning some of the kites so maybe it's the bird and not me
he's aiming for. In the end we both scarper just to be on the safe
side (in retrospect I admit it was most likely a car back-firing.)
And now Sinister these gorgeous birdies have found a nice little
niche in the Chiltern ecosystem and are everywhere, along the
roadsides, circling over admin's pub lunches, one swooping low over
the back garden one Sunday- The End.
Becky
P.S. cheers to whoever posted that review on The Reindeer Section,
have purchased accordingly.