Sinister: "Life is a spectator sport"

Sunset . sunnie_set at xxx.com
Thu Jan 3 19:06:21 GMT 2002

  I think that is what you said? At least I think you said something like
it.
Listening to other peoples songs, imagining them to belong to them, placing
meaning where the writer neglected to place meaning, giving the words of the
life of their own. Until eventually the song is truly owned by the
spectator.
Or maybe you just meant my life?
When you are quiet, when you are shy, life becomes a play put on by other
people. Something you could imagine being part of but never quite knowing
how. I am certainly the viewer rather than the participant the majority of
the time.
Or maybe you were just talking about how being a spectator could make you
feel happy.
Like the time, quite recently,  I found myself sitting in a B&B getting
excited because I can see a man knocking on the door outside a house and a
man inside the house walking to answer it. At that moment neither of them
could see each other. I was privelleged. I could see both sides of the door.
In the fading light of the room I was in I sat and watched the silent view
in front of me. I proceeded to give a commentary, explaining the biscuits,
the cups of tea, the man who refuses the sit still for more than 2 minutes,
to the girl sitting with me. I suspect she would rather have been sleeping.
But I liked being a casual onlooker  and I wanted to share that with her.
Being a spectator, I think standing at the front of a gig is better than
standing further away. It does make you feel a little bit silly and self
conscious sometimes, but being able to hear a band speak to each other when
they aren't using microphones and being able to watch is going on a the side
of the stage, and to be able to look back and see almost the same view as
the band, makes it better.
Accidentally sitting on the same ferry as a band is good too.  Watching
people, who write the songs that have sort of become my own,  do normal
things, made me happy.
At the same time it could have made me a little sad. Feeling guilty that was
too much of an intrusion, knowing that songs don't really belong to me. A
reality check.

But if you are a skilful in the art of spectating you can drift swiftly from
harsh realities, settle back and begin to watch life once more.  Happy and
content within a world where everybody else is also interpreting other
people's lives through their own eyes. No reason to feel guilty.

Well, Take Care,

Rachel