Sinister: New things on Banchory

Paul Arathoon paularathoon at xxx.com
Fri Jan 4 16:22:17 GMT 2002

Wow..Everett True. i remember him from the Good Old Days where the Melody
Maker was king despite the ink that came off in your hands.
It had a great system for reviewing albums. One symbol for "bloody
Essential", another for "recommended" and that was it. I could never make
head nor tail of albums without these symbols because the reviews were so
odd and usually not about the albums itself at all. In fact even some albums
with the aforesaid symbols had reviews that slagged them off

Everett was good mates with Kurt and the MM christmas specials were always
uber-cool. he once did a review of Tad where the first letter of each
paragraph created the legend "JAMES DEAN (or someones name anyway) IS A
C***)"
And the interviews were always interesting. And it was all good.

and then all the good journos left. Mr True, Kulkarni, and the others whose
names I can't remember.

Now look at it. MM was reduced to being Smash Hits but with Slipknot on the
cover and had to give away shit posters and stickers to try and stop the
slippage of readers. it failed and it died.

and the NME went downhill fast with little competition on the 25th floor of
IPC towers.

basically- if E. True and Mr Gullick are behind Careless Talk cost Lives,
you should buy it.

hope you all had good new years
paul