Sinister: Birthdays, Love and Chocolate

Belle The Birthday Dog kissingbelle at xxx.com
Mon Jan 7 09:57:15 GMT 2002

The girl woke me up this morning saying "Happy Birthday Belle!". I got
excited because when she said "Happy Christmas Belle!" I got new toys and
treats and when she said "Happy New Year Belle!" I got a bath and my hair
brushed and was allowed to sit by the fire all day. So when the girl said
"Happy Birthday Belle" I knew that today was going to be a good day.
She explained that today was a very special day for me and I was now a whole
year old! Can you imagine? A whole year old! I feel so proud!
That means that this time last year it was the first day I had ever lived. I
tried to think what it felt like on that day but I couldn't really remember.
It was a long time ago. I didn't know the girl then, or anything about
pigeons, or even about how good chocolate tasted.
Chocolate does really taste great. I got really lucky not long go when I
discovered a whole box of chocolates. I have a talent for these things. No
chocolate can hide with me around.
It all happened while the girl and this other girl, who has been staying
with us for some time, were out. As usual I was in the kitchen with my bone,
wondering if I should try to get the onions out of the cupboard, or whether
it might be more fun to pull down the bag of rubbish and see what great
things the girl had put in there by accident. Suddenly I realised I could
open the door of the room where the other girl sleeps. I decided to
investigate.
That's when I found them… A whole box of chocolates! Nobody could have
possibly known they were there. It would have been impossible for them to
leave them alone without eating them. I was just going to have one or two
and then tell the two girls about them when they came back home. Things
didn't work out as I had planned and somehow or other I found myself eating
a whole lot more than just one or two. They were really lovely chocolates
after all. Life can be really great sometimes.
Other times the things that happen aren't so great like later on that same
evening. The girl had come back home and I had started to feel very ill. To
this day I don't know what could have caused it.
I didn't care when the girl started to cook her food. I didn't care when she
put my food in my dish for me. I didn't even care when she started to eat.
And then I was sick! The girl looked like she might be sick too as she
cleaned up after me and brought me water. She tried to make me lie on some
newspaper but when you are ill you just want to lie on comfy carpets.
Life has some strange twists to it one minute you are so happy having just
made a brilliant discovery, the next you are feeling the worst you ever
have. Life! It is completely crazy! And you can't reach the age of a whole
year without realising that.
Now That I am a whole year old I am also in love! I haven't told him yet but
the other girl who came to stay with us brought us his picture to see and he
is the best looking dog I have ever set eyes on. His name is Ali, he
normally lives with the other girl in a different country called Greece. He
has the most beautiful fur and eyes. The girls tell me one day we might meet
although there might be a problem because Ali speaks a different language to
me. I think it should be ok. I would be happy enough just to look into those
deep brown eyes!
Me and the girl are a right pair now. Both of us gazing at pictures of the
boys and dogs that we are in love with.
I said to the girl "it is hard being in love" she agreed and then giggled
I am much more independent these days. The other week I went on holiday all
by myself. I spent two whole nights without the girl. To be honest I think I
prefer my holidays when I go away with the girl because I didn't really like
the other dogs who were there all that much. I told them all about the band
I am named after and why I am a little bit famous and they laughed at me and
said "never 'eard of 'em… mind you have you 'eard of that band steps? If you
were named after them then I would be impressed." I didn't say anything back
because I have heard of steps and I think I would much rather be named after
the band I'm named after. If only I had my Ali with me. I'm sure he would
have defended me.
I'm a bit worried about my girl though. She is going on holiday without me
in about a weeks time. She has to go to a whole different country all by
herself. She tells me it is called San Diego and that she has to get there
by plane. Can you believe it? She will fly! Just like a pigeon!! I hope she
will find other people who like the band that make me a little bit famous. I
wouldn't like her to be stuck with people who think Steps are better. From
my experience people who like the band who make me a little bit famous know
the best things to do and the best places to go to find pigeons. I'm sure
that meeting some of these people would make the girl's holiday a little bit
happier.
I better go. I have to sit by the fire and dream about chocolate and Ali.

Love and Kisses,
Belle