Sinister: I don't want to play football

Kenneth P Y Chu pykachu100 at xxx.com
Mon Jan 7 10:17:48 GMT 2002

Hello,

I was going to write a really long e-mail about my adventures over the
weekend, but quite frankly it has been a bit dull, so I'm gonna talk about
footie instead.

Moving to the UK at the late age of 12 means that I was "one of those" who
doesn't have a favourite football team.  Being one of those isn't fun, if
you can imagine.  As you walk along the school corridor, you can almost hear
the gossips and jeers "psst, this boy is 12 and he still hasn't got a
favourite football team!"

Everyday you go to school, the boys in the class will be showing off their
cherished relationship with their teams - they'd wear their scarves, hats
and even the full kit when they have PE lessons.

Sometimes you feel that it is so fake - Paul's only supporting Liverpool so
he can show off to his friends when they win; John's only supporting
Newcastle because their kit is pretty; Harry's only supporting Arsenal
because the first 4 letters spell out a rude word - their supportership
isn't about passion, or commitment: it's about ownership, exhibitionism.
You don't want that.

But times are hard when you're "one of them".  Everyday you can feel the
weight of several cruise boats over your head - such is the peer pressure
you get - when you see their eyes of joy, when your friends walk into school
knowing their team had just gone top of the table.  You'd hide in a corner,
trying to forget, and convince yourself that having a favourite team isn't
the most important thing in the world, but it's hard when people talk about
it constantly.

You feel especially hurt when, people don't treat their teams preciously, at
the first moment of trouble, a moment of conflict or even just when routine
becomes a chore - they jump the boat - "oh their new kit is not pretty
anymore - I'm supporting Derby County instead".

Yet, the football teams will just accept them with open arms, don't they
ever question?  "Why?  So what makes me different from your old team?  How
do I know that, if I lose 3-0 to Bristol Rovers in the FA cup you won't dump
me faster than a baby with no diapers?"

You don't understand, but what can you do?  It's none of your business how
football fanclubs operate, or how other people choose their teams.  You just
keep on looking for the team for you.

The summer I'm supporting Ecuador for the World Cup tho.

KEN
P.S.: CARSMILE wrote my name in captial letters (e.g. "KEN") several times
in his e-mail, THANKS STEVE!
P.S.S.: After the bowling fever last week I went bowling with my mate in
Milton Keynes again last night, and I was pish.. um, yeah the floor was too
slippery, and stuff....