Sinister: sherry?

Rachel Playforth R.Playforth at xxx.uk
Mon Jan 7 17:06:07 GMT 2002

so it seems i should feel privileged to have a copy of the elusive CTCL
lying on my living room floor along with last week's newspapers, chip
wrappers, minidiscs, tissues, ribena cartons etc etc.  trendy brighton
hipster (ahem) everett true distributes a few through my boyfriend's
shop.  but i still don't like it much.  i agree with the hewitt boy that
the mogwai interview was too long - though this would be a minor sin
were it not both self-important and arse-licking as well.  but i look
forward to further reports by carsmiles more knowledgeable than myself.

of course there's a certain cheek to me slagging off the music press,
since my own journalistic ventures aren't exactly revolutionary or, more
importantly, successful.  in the case of buzzwords, the words 'back
burner' are unfortunately apt.  meanwhile, i've just been roped into a
new fanzine and have precisely two days to write a couple of thousand
scintillating words, in between clearing the rest of my possessions out
of my old house and finding space to put everything - including computer
and all my 'important writer's research tools' - in my new, much smaller
house...  help!

whine whine.  what i really wanted to do was ask a random question in
the best sinister style: is offering 'sherry?' in a plummy voice (think
uncle monty from withnail and i) when you actually mean 'tea?' derived
from anything external, or was it just an odd verbal tic confined to my
university friends?  i just remembered it the other day and it didn't
make any sense to me at all.  please confirm whether we were in fact
mad.

luv archel xxx

ps. further commentary on sinister transatlantic shenanigans, please :)
ps. further commentary on ANY sinister shenanigans :)