Sinister: On Becoming a Toy

Toy Stephen hugoles at xxx.com
Fri Jan 11 22:04:53 GMT 2002

Ive just come from the Nursery. Sinister Nursery is
unlike any Ive ever been in. It's quiet. Babies
contemplating, listening, & their toys -- wonderfully
named things like Rachel Fruitloop and dirty vicar --
do all of the playing, & its OK to admit that the Toys
rule this pen, and when you admit this, then you are
given a voice, & become a Toy too. We have the
quaintest chillun and toys in the wide world.

do I give vitals? Toys dont come with vitals though,
they smell like talcum powder, and look cheerfully
weathered. Where do Toys live?
latest homes Ive lived in:
Galway
London
Chicago
now a small twin city some 130 miles south of Chicago.
plotting a return to Europe in the summer. Drawing
maps to evade the Adults and their work visas. If
anyone wants to draw me a passport or visa (crayons
allowed) I would be EXTRAordinarily grateful.

band content: I saw B&S in Chicago in the Autumn of
1998. Momus opened for them. Praisings and most
tremendous memories from that night at the Metro.

also saw Snow Patrol in the Roisin Dubh, Galway, early
2000. nice too.

Most of the time, Ill listen to just the Eight of Them
cross-legged on my cranberry floor. at times in bed.

as monday latenight when a wee Ladybug crawled across
my toes in bed. I thought, Its winter! how are you
still alive. Ladybugs find me irresistible. They do.
Every summer, half-a-dozen manage, on separate
and uncoordinated occasions, to run flat into my
forehead. Have you ever been forehead kisst by a 30mph
love-sick Ladybug? Startling. This one was alive in
the winter (with 18 black dots on a flawless cheery
shell; divided nine on each side). how? I panicked.
What do Ladybugs eat? I couldnt escort it into its
natural world -- the frost would send it into
reincarnation. I plunked onto the hardwood floor.
Thereafter followed one of those stupid, meticulous
arguments with oneself abt what's more 'natural', to
let her go outside and probably freeze to death (as
'natural' cycles would dictate), or follow the
inclinations of my heart and sustain life, this being
most natural in an instinctive sense. Meanwhile I
lowered her to the floor so my nightmare feet wouldnt
crush her & render my philosophical inquiries useless.

Why do we always think that insect, or reptiles, whose
natural food we dont know, want leafy green
vegetables? I decided to give the Ladybug some old
collard greens. Ladybug Perpetua scurried (!) away
before I returned. I havent seen her since. I fancy
she's set up home somewhere in my room until Spring,
but her diet concerns me.

this is a long enough toy-rant for first postings.
plus I have to catch my bus. Pass cornfields and all
that. to see if Ladybug has discovered herself yet.
happy weekend everyone. thanks for nursing me into
Play-dom.

Stephen.