Sinister: Hello from an American kid in London

Andrew Barton amory1920 at xxx.com
Sat Jan 12 19:59:40 GMT 2002

Hello,
  I am that American kid in London, and my name is Andrew Barton. This is my
first post, as I only joined the list a month ago. I have to say that I
don't know what the hell I'm doing here and writing this, but alas, here I
am.
  As you can imagine, being an American high school student, there aren't
many B & S fans around. My best friend and I are rather alone on this front,
so it's quite nice to see this many people who love the same music.
  I got into Belle & Sebastian quite late I'm afraid. Carey, my best friend,
picked up "Fold you hands child..." by chance because he had recently become
a Donovan fanatic, and had read something about B&S. He called me imediately
after getting home and had listened to the album. "I Fought In A War" came
over the phone. During the first 30 seconds of Stuart singing with the faint
guitar in the background, my mouth dropped open. When he took away the phone
I asked him to put it back again. So I listened the the rest of the song,
and spent the next days, weeks, and months listening to the other albums and
e.p.'s. I didn't have a favorite band before then, and it came along at just
the right time.
   We drove from Southern Oregon to Olypia Washington to see the gig this
September, and it was one of the best days I've had. I remeber on the way
back I was listening to "If You're Feeling Sinister" on my walkman, falling
in and out of sleep. When "Get Me Away From Here, I'm Dying" came on I woke
up and bobbed my head to it looking out the window at the moon. When it was
over I drifted off to sleep again, hearing the songs played that night over
and over in my head as I slept.
   All of my memories of Belle & Sebastian songs are like that. Hazy but
also clear. I can never get sick of those songs, and don't think I ever
will.
   I feel like a twit for asking this- but I'll ask it anyway. I have a
theatre engagment on Monday that was planned months ago. As you all know,
Monday the 14th is the day Radio 1 is broadcasting the Belfast gig.
Obviously, I won't be there to tape it. If anyone could possibly dub an
extra tape or burn an extra cd for me, I would be exceedingly greatful. I
don't have anything special to offer in return, other than a tape of the
radio broadcast of Bowlie, if someone doesn't have that. And of course money
for the tape and other expenses rendered. If this is possible for anyone,
please contact me personally.  I really didn't want to include something
like this in my introduction to everyone, asking a favor of people I don't
even know. But I would have given anything to have been there.
   Please don't think I posted just to ask for the above, I didn't. I wanted
to introduce myself to everyone, and say something about why I like the
band. So, in conclusion- I love Belle & Sebastian (as if all of you didn't),
and I love reading your posts. I look forward to the clever thoughts and
stories every day. After blabbering for this long, I will say thank you for
your time.
   All the best,
           Andrew