Sinister: "If you please--draw me a sheep!"

Kirsten Kenyon chinacat81 at xxx.com
Mon Jan 14 15:15:00 GMT 2002

  ian never made it to work yesterday.  his mom managed to stop in
for a few moments, sobbing hysterically and chewing on her bony
fingers and looking quite like the women who frantically scan lists
posted on doors in old war movies.  i couldn't bear to look at her,
so i slid out back into the alley and sat on a milk crate and smoked
my last cigarette.
  the wind picked up for a moment, bringing to my feet a black and
white photograph of two boys looking silly.  i studied it for a few
seconds.  from what i gathered, i was looking at a photograph of two
mildly-intoxicated young men who had finally succumbed to the
exasperating people who had been trying all night to drag them onto
the dance floor at a friend's wedding reception.  don't you just hate
people who try to make other people dance?  i would never do
something like that.  ken chu wouldn't, either.  don't worry.
anyway.  the photograph was just fantastic, and i started to reach
for it when i got to thinking.  i thought about how i would feel if
some strange girl happened upon a photograph of me looking like an
idiot...dancing...and found it to be so terrifically funny that she
just had to pick it up and adhere it to the cover of her sketchbook
with paper cement.  i mean, i would probably never know.  but
still....just thinking about it...i turned over the photograph with
my toe and headed back inside.
     there was a phone call later, and apparently ian was safe and
sound at his grandmother's house.  he'd bumped up his car a bit, but
that was the extent of it.  so...ian is alive and well.  but his
death's been bothering me since yesterday morning.
     it was a strange day, anyway.  craig, who normally hops about
like a fourth-grader at a slumber party, sulkily retreated to a
corner table with a latte, a pile of saltine crackers, some honey
packets and a big bowl of tzaziki sauce. he sat there for a while,
sighing, looking bored and half-heartedly nibbling at his peculiar
lunch.  i tried to ignore him...when craig starts up with the blasé
thing, it's best to keep busy. i must have been giving him a strange
look, because he got up quite suddenly and grabbed my arm and
said 'smokey.' and we went outside.  my next last cigarette.  we were
standing around talking, and he mentioned how he missed his long
hair.  i said i couldn't picture him with long hair at all, so he ran
out to his car for his portfolio and sure enough...he looked like
ricky martin when he was on that soap in the early 90s, and a little
bit like fabio only not in a scary way.  i was just staring in
disbelief and craig was looking a little wistful, and said something
else about missing his hair.  and then i remembered something i had
overheard...about chemotherapy.  at the time i'd heard it, i wasn't
sure who....well, i know now.  i knew.  and he knew that i knew, and
i think he knew i didn't know what to say, and i knew he didn't
expect me to say a thing.  knew know knew know.  yeah.  i think
today's his day off.  speaking of which, i should have started
getting ready for work ten minutes ago.
   it's not coyness, it's discretion.

   love
   kirsten