Sinister: Minds are like parachutes - they only work when they're open

Gardiner, Stuart Stuart.Gardiner at xxx.uk
Thu Jan 17 12:55:44 GMT 2002

So, Jordi and Big Gay Mark have both come out of the closet (so to speak)
and returned to the land of the Sinisters. Which is a good thing. Bring back
the old guard, I say. Don't get me wrong, it's great having lots of new
blood around the place, but I can't remember who's who, because I'm thick.

It's always comforting to look at who a post is from, and know what to
expect. In Mark's case, smut. In Ken's case, dirty dreams about girls. And
in my case, a load of sh*** that noone wants to read.

The silly season is almost upon us. Yes, that's right, it's time for the
Winter Olympics. Giving us 2 weeks of people dancing on a sheet of ice
(wouldn't it be easier to get onto dry land first?), the 2-man luge (2
people lying on top of each other going feet-first down a mile-long frozen
waterslide), and the skeleton bobsleigh (1 person going down the same course
headfirst on a teatray). It makes golf look sensible.

I'm in a bad mood today. Sorry. It happens every time I see G**rg* B*sh on
the TV in the morning. First the US bombers kill more innocent civilians in
Afghanistan than died on September 11th (but that doesn't matter, because
they're not Americans, right?). And now, all the US-held prisoners of war
have their beards shaved off (denying them their religious beliefs), are
tied up and gagged, are drugged, and are forcibly flown halfway around the
world to be held in tiny cages in Cuba. That's every bit as evil as anything
the Taleban did. This kind of thing has been going on for years (the USA is
solely responsible for causing civil wars or installing dictators in
countries around the world, from Chile to El Salvador to Indonesia to Iraq),
yet I don't know of a single US citizen who agrees with it - how does the
government keep getting away with it?

I'm also in a bad mood because Sheffield Wednesday got knocked out of the FA
Cup by Crewe.

PU
LP is a good (not a G!R!A!T!E!) album. Probably my third favourite album of
last year (behind Tompaulin, and the re-release of Undeniably The Whitlams).
But I've managed to scratch it already so that it doesn't play far-and-away
the best song on it, Sunrise. Have I mentioned that I'm in a bad mood?

It's also depressing to realise that in just 12 days time, I'll hit 25 years
old. And I'm not even close to having a proper job, a wife and kids and a
house of my own. It might be downhill all the way from here. I might even
turn into Mark.

I want to learn how to become a procrastinator, but I just keep putting it
off.
Big Stu