Sinister: *tap tap tap*...is this thing on?

Aruni J beiaardhorse at xxx.com
Wed Jan 23 04:43:39 GMT 2002

<screechy microphone noise> greetings and salutations, sinister!

my name's aruni and i'm a first-timer. (hello, aruni!) i was inspired, or
perhaps incited, to post by the illustrious Ken Chu. so if you all despise
the post...well, you can still blame me, but it'll teach Mr. Chu to be so
encouraging to strangers.

i suppose what finally brought me to break the lurking barrier was the wave
of newbies (i am a sheep, i admit it), and the various and sundry
interesting things that people have to say. (i wish i could promise the same
for you. truly, i am in the presence of genius.)

let's see...i'm a med student living in north carolina (hi to everyone in
the southern united states), and currently preparing for my neuroanatomy
final. couldn't you tell?

by way of actual content, i have little enough. my favorite thing about b&s
is the way their songs build (but isn't that everyone's favorite thing?).
and oh! someone said way back that "I Love My Car" smacks of the Beatles
when they were fooling around, and i shook with wholehearted agreement!
something about the way SM sings "the day will come soon when i look in your
eyes but i won't see you" sounds very beatles-esque to me. sorry for the
lateness and probable obscurity of this reply; i was still banging on the
nursery bars at the time.

so oh yes, the things that people said:
Pez asked: so did anybody try my recipe then? its tasty, i promise.

i did! last weekend, and thanks for the suggestion. my mother used to make
something similar for me when i was a little girl, and a comparison with my
mother's cooking is high praise, from me at least. i approve.

Toy Stephen mentioned the serendipitous beauty of Sri Lanka, and i just had
to respond. my parents are from Sri Lanka! it was a lovely little island the
last time i saw it (10 years ago), but sadly, a troubled one as well. still,
maybe the turmoil makes that beauty more striking.

Ben expressed confusion over the fact that "CAMERA OBSCURA was formed in
August of 1998 in San Diego"

this amused and confused me as well. what with all the talk about camera
obscura on this list, i set out to find out more about them on cdnow.com,
and came up with...west coast agressive rock (or at least that was my
impression)? with more digging, i found a blurb stating that "Eighties Fan"
was produced by "Stewart Marduk of belle & sebastian."

all right, who else knew that SM is an ancient Babylonian god? i'm so out of
the loop. but thanks muchly to those of you who recommended camera obscura
and their record--it has brought me gladness of heart and auditory nerve.

and with that, i join the ranks of the post-first-posters! (i'm going to go
cringe and hide now.)

~aruni