Sinister: henry kissinger

baker,baker bakerbaker13 at xxx.com
Fri Jan 25 08:39:49 GMT 2002

tonite was a wonderful nite.  i was driving alone through mazes,
bridges over expressways and under onramps and through the dark
trees by the canals and train tracks on the north edge of the
palos forest preserve.

i was driving my mom's minivan, 'coz my car is on the rag, and
even though it's a really dorky car, i like it.  i dotingly call
it "the futuristic van of the future," because it has tons of
buttons and features and only about half of them actually work.
 to me, this perfectly represents modern life.

anyway though, i was driving under the street lamps and it felt
like i was travelling at the speed of light.  or the speed of
"lite," because in all actuality i was obeying the speed limit
precisely.  i felt like diet cola, in fact -- listening to
heartfelt rubbish on the radio (XRT isn't what it used to be),
watching my digital spedometer and thinking about the girl who
called me henry kissinger.   i was bubbling with aspartame.

[side note:  digital spedometers are wonderful.  they're like
numbers being added randomly on a calculator & remind you in the
most glorious way that your actual speed is best measured with
your blood and your body, not the needle or the radar gun or the
driver's ed man's voice in the back of your head.]

but this girl i was thinking about -- i thought you might like
to hear about her.  many years ago, i was not less shy or
awkward than i am now.  i might even have been more so.  and
there was a girl who was perhaps in love with me, who wrote me a
beautiful poem about henry kissinger.  we sat next to each other
in english class -- sometimes we would get together and sit on
the floor in the back of the room and philosophize, write snide
messages on the back of our hands, and our shoulders would
sometimes touch, or our knees would bump and i remember feeling
very excited, but not having the slightest idea what to do
except shiver and keep philosophizing and writing things all up
and down my arms.  i might have been in love with her as well,
but i didn't expect she'd want to hear about it.  she seemed
very interested in philosophy and english class and that all
seemed to be enough.  i was happy, and so -- i thought -- was
she.

the poem was strange.  it was about henry kissinger, and the
narrator of the poem was one of kissinger's secretaries, who
would leave him special notes rolled up and tied with long
blades of grass.  she would write him love letters and leave
poems for him to find in the filing cabinets.  always mr.
kissinger was running about clutching paperworks, letter
openers, addendums, plane tickets.  running off to israel and
bolivia.  dealing with foreign affairs.

of course, the secretary was really this girl, and henry
kissinger was me.  it's strange to think of.  all my life i've
been the sort of person that was too mesmerized by the candles
and incense, the flowing robes of priests, the clicking of the
organ keys -- i never had much time for god and jesus and the
holy ghost up there in heaven (actually i never went to church
at all, i'm making that up but you understand what i mean).  i'm
really happiest when i'm alone with your love letters, you see
-- i love the torn spiral edge of the paper and your handwriting
on the blue and pink lines.  i love how the letters smell as
they get old in my drawer.  i think, too, that i would love
being alone with your body and your voice...  the torn edges of
your syllables, the blue and pink veins running beneath the skin
of your arms and your neck.  it's when i'm actually around you
-- around any people at all -- and you or those people are not
allowing me to be alone...  i'm too hungry for your like and
your love.

 it's like seeing a naked candy bar and shrinking away with
fright because all my life, all i've ever known is the sweet,
lingering taste of chocolate left clinging to someone's leftover
wrapper.

(sorry for the rambling)

love,
baker,baker