Sinister: It's a nice night for a sulk...which sucks for you guys

Matthew Henderson lokar20 at xxx.com
Fri Jan 25 09:17:55 GMT 2002

********WARNING!!! THIS POST IS WHINY!!!  PLEASE SKIP!!!!**************

Oh my dear stars.

It's 3 am, which isn't too late I guess, but it feels later.  I've been
debating whether I should go to class in the morning or not.

I've been feeling very disconnected recently.  This empty sort of depression
has been with me a for a few days now.  I don't like it.  If I were to be
depressed about a girl, it would be different.  There would be something
there.  Either the hope of her noticing me, or the extreme pain of losing
her.  It would even be better if I were nervous about a test, or upset about
a bad grade.  Or about a job, or about something.  Anything at all.  But
what keeps me up nights now?  What drives me to write to 1500 people this
late at night?  Nothing.  Nothing at all.  I read post after post from you
lot night after night.  Many are humorous and fun, like Ken Chu's strange
brand of vulgar wit.  Or Laura Llew's...Llewness (Whom, much to her dismay
and disgust, will soon find me standing outside her home, with an acoustic
guitar, playing "hesitating beauty" with slightly altered lyrics).  Then
there are those beautiful ones, such as Kirsten's brief glimpse into a
strange world I know nothing of.  But a goodly amount deals with personal
tragedies/triumphs involving finding beautiful moments in things, getting a
new job, losing a job and cleaning, and especially pining for a boy/girl,
getting the boy/girl, or losing the boy/girl.  I have none of this.  None of
it at all.  I have no prospects for a significant other of any kind, I'm not
very close to any of my friends, I'm not worried about a job, School is set
for the next several years, etc...  There is nothing at all interesting in
life.  Days drift on and on, following each other in this endless parade of
mundanity.  School, work, home, clean, sleep, school, work, home, clean,
etc...  I have nothing really to look forward to, nothing to really mull
over now, and no end in sight.  I really can't stand it.  But I can't put my
finger on what the problem really is.  I don't know what to do.  I can't
come up with a solution if there isn't really a problem.  I stay up late at
night, smoking cigarettes in my bed and listening to music, and thinking
about nothing.  I have nothing to think about, nothing to fight for, nothing
cry about, nothing to pine for.  I just feel empty.

This must be the worst kind of depression.  Not even music can pull me out
of this.  If I were to be dumped, I could listen to some trembling blue
stars or something.  Loss of a loved one, there's plenty of music for that.
But what about utter nothingness?  No feelings about anything whatsoever,
other than the dread of having go through yet another awful day.

Sorry to bother you all with this, I don't like to annoy people.  But does
anyone else ever feel this way?  Or is this just self-loathing wankery?

I will say the two bright spots of today.  I finally received (after a few
months) the Camera Obscura LP.  I was amazed at how high quality the vinyl
was.  So thick, like they really cared.  Someone give someone in that band a
good pat on the back for that.

Also, the magazine on banchory is absolutely excellent.  It's a must have.

Again, I apologize for the inconvenience.  I wouldn't feel so bad about
cluttering up your mailbox if mine was cluttered up all the time with
information on how to get an international drivers license, or a certain
percent off widgets.  Mostly from a girl named "J A N E T"

-Matt