Sinister: Things not to say to your half-Jewish girlfriend...

sophia katrina sophiakatrina at xxx.com
Wed Jan 30 09:52:06 GMT 2002

dearest Sinister,

I feel strangely compelled to post, if only to correct the (erroneous, of
course) impression that i joined the list only to pick up [Aus, vernacular,
eqiv. to UK: pull]. So I thought the best way to do this was to summon up
all of my higher faculties, wherever they had got to, and flood all 1500 of
you with lyricism and erudition. It would have been a deluge of wit and
wisdom, I'll tell you. But somewhere between my lyricism reserves and my
fingers I took a detour and ended up at a petrol station beyond the black
stump [Aus, vernacular, middle of bloody nowhere, cf. Woop Woop], spilling
bad coffee on the maps and swearing, while it got darker and darker outside.
(Or did was I stuck in the Doldrums? Have any of you read the Phantom
Tollbooth?  I love childrens'  books more than life itself).

It really has been a dull week - enlivened, of course, by all your wonderful
posts from everywhere. There have been some very beautiful ones recently.
Aside from reading them and being touched by how heartbreaking and lovely
they were, I have been a bit lost in the Doldrums. I've spent all my time
doing things related to art (like painting walls, hanging shows, delivering
invitations, posting slides) but I haven't used my camera in a couple of
weeks and I feel slightly empty. Richard Avedon put it more eloquently: "If
I go through a day without doing something related to photography, I feel as
though I have neglected something essential to my being; as if I had
forgotten to wake up. I know that the accident of being a photographer has
made my life possible".

Maybe the reason I'm not working is that I'm fundamentally a lazy
perfectionist. Can other lazy-no-more perfectionists share the solution to
this problem? I need to get rid of my perfectionism somehow. Perhaps some
kind of ritual, an exorcism maybe, or psychic surgery where they wave your
hands over your belly (where does perfectionism reside anyway?), slop around
some fake blood, and shout "AH-HA! YOUR PERFECTIONISM IS GONE FOREVER" while
holding up a bloody piece of gristle they bought from the butcher's last
week, & which was just starting to turn.

I bought "The Geometrid" last week, and have been listening to it a bit, but
it didn't have the song about someone who doesn't believe that people landed
on the moon. Is it on another album? Does it actually exist, or was I
misinformed? If it does exist, then I'm convinced that it was written for my
ex-boyfriend. There are many reasons we aren't together today, some
involving being dumped over e-mail while travelling, being stranded at
Heathrow with 25 kilos of luggage and £4.72 in my pocket, and the like, but
the real clincher was that he didn't believe that people really landed on
the Moon.  I didn't catch the entirety of his mutterings, but they had
something to do with the Ruskis, or possibly the Reds under the bed, and
black helicopters, and closed-circuit television, and the spooky
similarities between the seven-headed beast in Revelations and the United
Nations, and definitely the World Zionist Conspiracy. On the list of things
not to say to your half-Jewish girlfriend, I'd say that anything involving
the World Zionist Conspiracy (or ZOG, as those wacky survivalists call it)
ranks in the top ten. I will personally send some matzoh ball soup (or a
flat-packed, customs-friendly equivalent), to the sinisterian/s who can
offend me more!

Oh dear, this really has been an outpouring of whinge. So sorry to vent my
spleen at you all, who really don't deserve it. So here's something non
whinge-related:

Several people mentioned ice cream trucks. Where I used to live, in the
nearest thing London has to a ghetto, ice cream trucks used to go by at 2am,
playing music and everything. As a wide-eyed first year, I was very confused
by this. Who buys ice cream at 2am, I wondered? Then someone told me they
sold DRUGS (cue collective gasp from audience). I saw three of them, parked
outside someone's house near the tube station. Didn't the police know about
this? Or did the driver buy them off with lemon ice lollies, flakes and
chocolate sprinkles?

When I do start living the life of the beautiful people, I promise to tell
you all about it -

love & apologies,
sophia