Sinister: I'm going to Heaven to see if it rains

lazylinedavid at xxx.net lazylinedavid at xxx.net
Wed Jan 30 16:21:14 GMT 2002

I think it was Carsmile Steve who asked what Jeepster are actually doing for B&S. Which seems like a perfectly decent question. It doesn't make a lot of sense that a band can sell out the Albert Hall and then release a single which limps to number 39 in the UK. Now of course maybe the band don't really care about chart positions but then again they probably do - didn't they have a bet once that Lazy Line Painter Jane would make the Top 40? Perhaps you could argue that they're more of an albums band than a singles band - but even the albums don't chart very high: 10, 11, 12 whatever. You think back to the Smiths (if we have to make those comparisons), and every one of their albums made it to number 1 or 2. (OK, Morrissey played the media like a total whore, but still...). And they did this even when their singles were only making the mid-20s. Obviously it's nice that Jeepster let the band do whatever the hell they want but are there not bigger labels who would give the same fre!
edom and get better results?

On the other hand, does any of this really matter?

At the tender age of 31, I bought my first ever hip-hop album the other day, by Outkast. It's very good. To make myself seem less threatening to the cashier, I also purchased the Neil Halstead solo album: a record so wet that I have to put a towel under my CD player every time I listen to it.

Does anyone know what happened to the members of the Orchids? Were they from Glasgow too? I can't remember.

Take care,

David