Sinister: smile while you're head explodes

Grainne Lynch g.lynch at xxx.com
Mon Jul 1 19:21:26 BST 2002

This time last year I was looking forward to the gig in Ipswich, the last night of the summer tour. Six months ago the memory of the Belfast gig was still fresh in my mind. I feel like it's time I saw Belle and Sebastian rocking out on stage again, but that's not going to happen. Instead I had that little snippet of the Glastonbury gig on the telly last night.

What is it about this band that has sitting on the floor in front of the television at 12.30 at night, when everyone else is in bed? I think it might have something to be with Stuart Murdoch's big brown eyes. Of course, it probably has something to do with the beautiful songs as well.

I like Storytelling. I like the sweet and light instrumentals, but I prefer the songs with words. A big part of why Belle and Sebastian captivate me is the lyrics. If I put on a CD and start doing something else - reading, writing, dreaming - my mind will be bought back to the music when a random line catches my attention. Like little pieces of poetry, they capture my imagination. And I like that.

My Wandering Days are Over is still one of my favourite songs.

I am gradually accepting the fact that the band are not going to play at Witnness (a much smaller version of Glastonbury, a two-day festival in Meath). I think they are holding a grudge against the Republic of Ireland. Maybe because of the last Dublin gig. It seems like they play everywhere else expect here and it's just not fair. It's not like we're on the other side of the world.

I'm only half-serious. I know they haven't actually played everywhere but here. More than likely it's just too dear to come to Ireland. I heard a report on the radio last week. They were comparing prices in Ireland and St Tropez. Ireland was more expensive.

(I feel like I should apologise quickly. I don't want to incur the wrath of Neil Robertson!)

I hope you are all enjoying picnics, pubnics and others. I hope poor Idleberry feels better soon. I missed the last two Dublin meet-ups and feel suitably guilty. It doesn't mean I don't love you all.

I do.
Gráinne.