Sinister: The Polyphonic Spree / The Parsley Sound

lazylinedavid at xxx.net lazylinedavid at xxx.net
Tue Jul 2 16:29:33 BST 2002

Ian Watson mentioned the Spree on here a few days ago - and I'd just like to second his emotion. They played a show at the Knitting Factory on Saturday night, and it was truly astonishing. It takes some confidence to start a performance by getting the entire room (the 26 people on stage plus 200 of us in the audience) singing along to a taped instrumental version of 'Hey Jude' - but by the time they'd done that, the battle was won. There were people in the crowd crying tears of joy, and I spent most of the show laughing out loud. It was that good. Having said that, a few caveats:

1. About half of their songs are not very good. However, when they're performed with such obscene enthusiasm, it ceases to matter. And the songs that *are* good leave you in a state of such euphoria that you would forgive this band anything.

2. The whole thing is contrived. But honestly, who cares?

3. They've nicked a lot of their stage presence off the Flaming Lips (the gong, the theremin, the singer's voice, for God's sake). But if, like me, you think the Lips are the most entertaining live band you've seen in years, then you won't mind that at all.
If they come anywhere near where you live, you ought to go and see them. I don't own their album: is it worth having? It seems impossible that they could burn that energy on to a CD.

Secondly, does anyone know much about The Parsley Sound? (What is it with bands whose initials are TPS?) I bought their 5-track single thing the other day, and it's gorgeous. 'Ease Yourself and Glide' is the perfect summer song. Are they going to be all mysterious and just disappear like Hopkirk and Lee (discussed on this list a few years ago)? And did anyone ever find out who the hell they were, anyway?

That's enough for now,

Love,

David
xxxxxxxxxxxx