Sinister: I was born under a wanderin' star...

idleberry idleberry at xxx.com
Thu Jul 4 00:19:21 BST 2002

I know I've posted already, but you've been good, so I
thought I'd reward you with another in ooh, under 24
hours.

Plus, this is for the non picnic goers, who I guess
are sitting there thinking "god, why can't I go to one
of idleberry's picnics? [not realising this is the
first i've sort of made noises about beforehand- I
don't think "organise" is the correct term here] its
not fair!". I know you're hurting. This post is
dedicated to you.

well, unfortunately, I'm going to have to pre empt
myself and apologise.

someone on the list has been draining me, not in a bad
way nor intentionally. But draining me. And all my
best thoughts (the ones which I mentally memo "save
this idea for later, for sinister") are given to this
person, and now, when i sit here, I know two things:
a. I can't write it again, I'll get bored of myself if
i do;
b. I could never write it as well as i think i did;
c. who really wants second hand posts?

But I'm in the "writing" mood.

THINGS SEEM TO BE GOING HORRIBLY WRONG.

well, I had a cool plan for friday.
and now its cancelled.
And I'm gutted Gordon isn't joining us on Saturday,
and instead has taken a better offer. I didn't realise
there could *be* a better offer, but I shall have to
hire someone else to be my wall, should i need to
check my reflection.
I am really upset by all of this. I'm getting my hair
cut on Friday morning, and I'm desperate (read: very
desperate) for someone to see me who isn't related to
me and tell me just how cool I look.
I even bought new clothes at the weekend, and I new
handbag, which I lay in my bed, gazing at it next to
me, stroking its cool bits, and thinking "I need a car
to go with my new handbag".

Just stroking- nothing kinky.

I guess if you don't do that, it might sound a bit
odd.
I just find it ver difficult to find material
possessions I really like a lot. And when it comes to
certain things, I get really happy about finding them.
I think last year, I had £25 in my bank account, and
nothing more. I had no money for anything. So I bought
a new handbag, and phoned my dad for a lift home.
It was either that or pay for the train, and really,
this handbag last year was cool. I'd walked around for
days, imagining what this handbag would be like.
And then one day in May this year, I had overfilled it
with guitar stuff, and the strap broke, and I was
gutted. Besides which, it was a pain carrying my
broken bag and my guitar around on buses and such.

So it was bye bye old handbag, buy buy new handbag.

ITS JUST NOT TRUE

Bourjois Coup de Theatre mascara doesn't lengthen at
all. Its not true. It doesn't work. I've paid over £8
for something that doesn't work. Pfft. I'm going back
to my old brand. Loreal, forgive me. I like bourois
lipgloss and eyeshadow, bu not their mascara, I have
decided.

Still, it does look like a magic wand, and thats kind
of cool.

Why can't good products be in cool packaging?

I'm such a sucker for packaging.
 Oooh! shiny! ooh! japanese style cartoons on it! ooh!
funny french formula words! ooh! nice carboard boxes
and little clips and things that make it like a little
secret locket like when i was a kid and wanted to find
princess treasure or whatever! ooh! the words "Salon
tested".. its got to improve my life, help me loose
weight and become startlingly gorgeous, and have
paparazzi follow me and beauty editors writing page
features called "Steal her look" with photos of ME all
over it!

I wish the things I do use and that are very good were
more imaginative and excitingly packaged.

Take Toni and Guy shampoo- in the squishy kwenchy kup/
blood transfusion style packs- that is soo much cooler
than Pantene Pro V. Its also twice the price. And its
not nearly as good.
But Pantene pro v bottles are so boring. I want
something that has like, half a bottles worth of PR; a
box (and it better be good quality cardboard too): and
something that sounds as if its so expensive, its the
most incredible luxury you could indulge yourself in.

If i wanted a bog standard white bottle with like two
lines of "it cleans your hair" type promoting, I'd
have a sex change.
NOT SAYING BLOKES CAN'T APPRECIATE SPARKLY EXCITING
THINGS.
but *most* blokes I know just use whatever shampoo
happens to be in the bathroom at the time, or whatever
their mum/dad uses without thinking too much about it.

Pantene Pro V bottles are like the company car family
saloons of the shampoo world, to me. Your ford
mondeos, or your vauxhalls.

And I like cars with character: like fiat 500s, and
MX-5s, and Saab 900s, and the new clio. And I like
shampoo bottles with character too.

talking of fiat 500s...

the reason I've started thinking about the fiat 500 is
this:
* I went to my pal Susan's flat in Denistoun in
glasgow a few weeks ago.

* She was playing Lush, the album with "Shake Baby
Shake" on it, and I vaguely remember that being about
the fiat 500.And its a catchy song.
*And now when I go through to Edinburgh, on the train,
and go past Dalry and Gorgie, theres a lane on the
left hand side of the track, and theres a row of nice
town houses/ flats. And they face the bank of the
train track, and theres this iron wrought fence. And
theres always a little fiat 500 sitting there, next to
the iron fence, at the top of the bank above the train
track. An I just think about it sometimes, and I
always look out for it, as if I need to say hello.

Today was different though.
Today I made a man laugh, and that felt good.

I was sitting on the train, chatting to Jonesy, an old
school pal of mine.
I came to the conclusion, life would be far more
interesting, if, as an administrator,I could file
things in multi coloured folders, and start a new
folder following the sequence of the colours of the
rainbow.

Of course, if i did that at the parliament, the
country would be in a certain degree of chaos and you
know, things might go wrong and nothing would work
properly and stuff. So its as well I don't. But i
thought, well, you know, wouldn't it be lovely to be a
temp and walk into an office where everything was
filed by colour? how colourful that office would be.
Nobody would feel down in the dumps, surely, in a
rainbow office? And you'd feel happier. And it would
be so much easier to know what to fil things under.

Anyway, while I was suggesting this, and Jonesy
looking vaguely panic stricken about it, I noticed
some houses next to Haymarket. Their back garden looks
onto the train track, and its an old tennemant block.
And its on the left side too. I love looking in the
windows of it. Theres one window, with about three
rows high of CDs, and I often wonder who lives there
and what CDs they are. They must be an interesting
person though, to be interested in music. Unless its
geek boy computer games. Anyway, I sort of said out
loud:
"I love looking into peoples windows, I know its
rude..."
and one of the other commuters heard me, this balding
man in a suit and tie, sitting typing something on his
laptop.
And he just burst out laughing.
And that was cool. Cos he said "I know exactly what
you mean". Which hopefully he means to those little
peeping tom moments into peoples omes from the train,
rather than literally, a scary sort of peeping tom
thing.
Jonesy and me giggled to each other, and wondered what
else people had listened to. Cos we talk pretty
frankly, me and jonesy, about everything. And we
forget other people are there, or aware of us
discussing the things we think of.
Like Jonesy telling me his German mistake. He took a
tour of german exchamge students round dynamic earth
last year and tried to impress them about going
through 13 million years..
but instead of "going through", he said "durchfall"
which means diaorehea in german, and they were in
hysterics apparently, of 13 million years of it.
So Jonesy left the foreign languages to them.

now I've run out of things to say, but I hope its ok.

see you at the picnic if i see you, if not, don't
worry, gordon isn't going now so it won't be very good
really.

Love,
idles
xxx