Sinister: Why are you so cool? God made me cool!

robin stout stoutrobin at xxx.com
Mon Jul 8 16:19:37 BST 2002

Ah, another weekend, another picnic. I don't know how I keep up with them
all, to be honest. I had a nice cheese sandwich, which was a bit soggy
because of the rain, and sat in the park until the sun came out. No one
turned up, apart from my friend and I, and some angry spiders who we decided
had been sitting on the bench having their own picnic until we came along
and sat on them, squashing their fly sandwiches and mosquito casserole. Mind
you, if anyone else had turned up we wouldn't have been able to fit on that
bench, so it's a good job you all went to Glasgow instead.

So anyway, where was I?? I flew back from Atlanta, Georgia last Wednesday,
where I had a wonderfully exciting time with a friend of mine. We did an
awful lot, and I was exhausted most of the time, but it was well worth it,
and the friend I was staying with is the type who's fun to be around
whatever you're doing, even if it's just sitting by the railroad tracks
drinking beer or eating doughnuts in bed on sunday morning.

I didn't manage to meet any local sinister people, although i did make a
rather late-in-the-day attempt, but I don't think I'd have been able to
anyway due to my hectic tourist schedule. But thanks to Laura and Jay for
tips on what to see :)

I did, however, manage to meet Atlanta's most notorious stripper, Blondie, a
big and terrifying black lady with tiny legs, who wore a blonde wig and not
much else. She gave a disastrous performance where her wig fell off and she
fell over it, unbalanced as she was by her ample proportions, then she
picked herself up and came to talk to us. I was too scared even to open my
mouth because she'd notice I was English and experience had already taught
me that Americans seem to love English people for no apparent reason. I
didn't want to experience Blondie's kind of love. Eventually I had to speak
to her but subtly managed to walk my stool away from her to keep a safe
distance from any potential pouncing. So I survived, just about, although
she did perform her "special trick" for me, images of which still flash
across my brian whenever I'm in the fruit and veg aisle at tesco.

I heard B+S on the radio twice, too, which is only half as many times as
I've heard them on the radio here. College radio seems to be pretty damn
good.

I ate lots and lots of burgers and actually got quite fat. It was difficult
to stop though, because people insisted on giving me free things because I
was english. I find that a bit embarrassing. I like people to like me and
give me things, for sure, but when it's simply because of an accident of
fate like being born in evesham, england, I feel a little uneasy. It must be
what it's like to be beautiful or famous. I don't think I'd like that very
much.

One good thing about Storytelling is that the instrumentals are perfect for
bridging difficult gaps on mixtapes. Last night I was making a minidisc of
my "Deutsch Plus" German tapes, and replaced all of the standard
Casio-keyboard music between sections with songs I like. The plan is that
this will MAKE LEARNING FUN. I'll let you know if it works. The songs
included some Storytelling tracks and they worked really well. It worked so
well in fact I'm even considering replacing all the talkie bits on
Storytelling with quotes from Deutsch Plus. Now, that *would* be an album.

bye x

Robin