Sinister: the library's the place to redeem ourselves

Sarah Garrett Sonner ssonner at xxx.com
Tue Jul 9 23:25:35 BST 2002

Stylish sinners all,

I don't raise my hand too often in class, but the days they are shortening.
I hope all listees are having a pleasant week...herewith my once-a-season
stammer.

TIME IS ON MY SIDE

I've heard part of Storytelling, and so far everything has reminded me of
something else, whether that be the theme song to "Taxi" (which itself makes
me nostalgic for the 70's--a decade I can't remember--is that possible?) or
the 60's Rolling Stones, though that's perhaps because I've been playing
them too often. (B&S cover suggestion: Play With Fire, or maybe
Congratulations?) I think soundtracks are supposed to make you nostalgic
though--for the movie itself or for how the movie made you feel, what it
reminded you of, etc. Therein also lies the virtue of replaying old mix
tapes. I refuse to see the film itself however--instead I'm going to see a
movie about skater boys tomorrow, rowr etc.

THE ONLY LIVING GIRL IN NEW CROSS

Last weekend I attended an academic conference (professionalism--gasp!) for
the first time ever. I actually managed to see Iain Sinclair speak, the man
whose works I'm writing a dissertation about, and then lacked the guts to
ask him a question. "uh, erm, what do you think about, uh, the function of
decay, in the...urban?...environment?" would've been something like it, if
only I'd been even that articulate at the time. Then afterwards a girl in a
long polka-dot dress managed to approach him and start talking about her
work, which I should've done had I the self-promotion instincts that every
other human seems to have. Instead I ducked out of all social situations and
jumped over the puddles that had meanwhile flooded Goldsmith's black and
white floor tiles, then headed out and down to the tube stop amid blooming
buddleia. Networking, feh.

I ONLY BUY A BOOK FOR HOW HEAVY IT LOOKS

It's (more or less) summer, which means I dust off my clogs once again. And
they are very dusty, since I can't wear them as much in London (land of much
more walking) as I did last year in Chicago (land where El stop and
destinations were close enough to excuse the wearing of potentially awkward
shoes). In her penultimate (sorry, I'm slow--but hey: I think technically,
final punctuation should go inside parenthesis if parenthetical content is a
stand-alone sentence) Robyn, and somewhere behind a fashionably turned-up
acid-washed collar, the Boy G I'm sure, mentioned David Foster Wallace. The
man pretty much owns the postmodern footnote (he got there before Dave
Eggers after all), as well as the words "rictus" and "micturate." I sat at
home last Bloomsday reading Infinite Jest and surviving only on cans of Dr
Pepper--it was that good that I didn't need food. Infinite Jest (erm, not
Expectations) inspired me to wear clogs in the first place, and if choice of
footwear based solely upon a literary character isn't a high compliment I
sure as fuck don't know what is. As for other attempted emulations of the
PGOAT (for those in the know) I don't go so far as to wear a veil or smoke
crack out of a Big Red Soda Water bottle. But there's time yet.

D EQUALS R TIMES T...IT'S EDUCATIONAL...

Further to verbal matters, Robyn, and no doubt others, said "blog" too and I
will concur that I think it sounds almost as bad as "signage," perpetual
bane of the chain bookstore merch employee, a role I once played. Blogging
seems to be the new posting, which was the new lurking, which may have been
the new having a life... I write this with full knowledge that I too am
potentially locked into this evolution. Gack. I confess I had a zine in high
school, back in the pre-internet days (double gasp!) so perhaps that's the
cro-magnon ancestor of a weblog. "Blog" itself however connotes indigestion
to me...I think it should count among Rachel Fruitloop's mantra of "crap
hell doody boob on a shingle." And with that filth I end my intellectual
niceties, rah!

YOU THINK I'M DEAD, BUT I'VE SAILED AWAY...

I gotta say my time in London has been made much brighter and more lovely
due to the kind people from this list I've met/been shy around/bowled
with/gotten tipsy with over the past 10 months. Mad props, y'all. I'm due to
imitate Breams and Bappsy and head to another hemisphere before long. Before
I could even suggest it, Ken's beaten me to the punch with a rallying call
to the London Sinister Bowling League this weekend--can we get a t-shirt
please? I'll also spread some homemade oatmeal raisin cookies around when I
see some of you at the July 13th gathering...pretty soon Miss Mandee May in
the environs of Denver will be the only fellow sinisterian upon whom I'll
get to foist my baked goods...mayhap a Denver Massive is in my future,
should a Massive be possible with 2. Certainly our 2 Simi Valley residents,
and also I am sure those singular souls in more isolated locales, prove that
they fucking represent.

love and clogs,
xox SGS

PS: I still can't tell the story of how I found one of the obscure treasure
hunt clues and how damn special it made me feel since the fucking answers
will never be revealed for the goddamn peace of mind of my ENzyme crew that
did search for them so ardently...
Son of PS: Marianna gives good Reporting Back. When it's 11:30 and the club
is jumpin' jumpin' she also makes it hott! hott!
Bride of PS: my dearest JennPB when will you again grace our digests with
your sparkly charm?
PS, the Next Generation: Mad props and xxx's most of all to lovely listmums
Honey and Linda!