Sinister: hideously belated Reporting Back

Hewitt, Stephen S.Hewitt at xxx.uk
Wed Jul 10 10:41:46 BST 2002

ello babies

blimey is it really nearly a fortnight since i boarded the magic bus to the
fields of avalon, it seems like barely a minute.

ANYHOO, I now present more content than possibly any other post i've ever
written, YES, it's the "b&s at glasto, oh god how much can i still remember"
Reporting Back.

Frankly they were tops, muchmuchmuch better than at brixton where, if you
recall, i thought they were a bit poo.

It started with struan (in what can only be described as a "flasher
mac")draping an Anti Nazi League "love music, hate racism" banner over the
monitors, whilst the band played eff this ess.  oor stevie was wearing a
rather fetching duffle coat which made him look about 7, aw bless, and wee
bobbie had a funny hat on.

um, no chance of a setlist i'm afraid, but some memorable moments:

Struan dedicating "the state i am in" to his brother who had gone and
sneakily got married over the weekend.  he then pointed out that the brother
mentioned in TSIAI was "in a dream" and not his actual brother, oh no.
Needless to say he then got the words wrong in the middle (has he ever got
them all right, in the right order???) and me and lixi had a giggle.

Stevie's outRAGeous organ blowing on me and the major, which i don't
remember noticing to quite such an extent before.

Mick's ever increasing variety of horns.

Singing happy birthday to one of the string section (emma?)

generally being loud, punchy and tight, three things they so weren't at
brixton.

girl standing about 10 foot to my left with a super powerful bubble blowing
gun thingy, which managed to get bubbles all over the audience and stage.

LLPJ with Monica, as it should be ;)

all but the last three songs being filmed (god knows what the bbc is going
to do with it all...  virtually every act (even on new bands) had the
majority of their sets filmed)

the wee girl in the green top who had been chosen from the audience getting
stage fright and not singing the isobel bit (in a town so small...) at the
end of DD#2, so struan had to do it in a falsetto, which was the only point
she was really missed...

sarah's BLUDY HUGE guitar (possibly guitar was normal sized and sarah is
wee) which looked as big as she is.

mick cooke putting his *foot on the monitor* during boys are back in town.

all the band looked happy and confident, i had had my doubts about them
playing on the second stage, i thought they would've been better with a
headline slot on the new bands, but they pulled it off!! (with aplomb)

Struan saying he really wanted to come back next year, YAY!!

getting to the urinals after they finished without my bladder actually
exploding (bludy festival beer) was also a blessed relief...

oh the rain was a bit rubbish, but it wasn't too bad (i can tell you stories
about standing at that stage in the rain, let me tell you, ultrasound in 98,
i nearly drowned etcetc "shut up you old codger" says the world)

more general glasto Reporting Back on me bl*g: http://carsmile.pitas.com and
possibly some rubbish photos (and believe me, they are poor) if i can be
bothered to get the scanner out...

picnic? bowling? possible trip to brum? with my reputation?

xoxo
CarsmileSteve

For the latest City Lit news & information, please visit our website
www.citylit.ac.uk

The City Literary Institute
Registered Office: 16 Stukeley Street, London WC2B 5LJ
Registered in England no: 2471686
Registered Charity no: 803007

PRIVACY AND CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE.
This e-mail may contain privileged or confidential information.
The message and any files transmitted with it are intended only for the use
of the recipient or organisation to whom it is addressed.
If you are not the intended recipient, no action may be taken on the
information nor may it be copied or shown to a third party and you are asked
to notify the sender named above.
Views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except
where specifically stated to be the views of The City Literary Institute.