Sinister: Quandaries solved, eyebrows salved

Michael Ashbridge MTJ.Ashbridge at xxx.uk
Wed Jul 10 13:00:36 BST 2002

+++ Public Service Announcement +++

Robyn Fadden, I have the gospel on quotation marks and their proper placement.
When quoting direct speech, all marks, including commas, belong inside the
quotation marks. Punctuation concerning quotes used to set a phrase or text
string apart from the main body of the sentence are placed outside the
quotation marks, as they belong to the main body of the sentence.

Usage example: "Let's have plenty of Wurlitzer!" exclaimed Struan, as Michael
started clapping prematurely for "Boy With The Arab Strap".

These facts will be disputed by many, and they may all kise my over-educated
arse. I didn't get to where I am today by not knowing what to do with various
bits of ASCII.

If you're American, or some other kind of alien, ignore all that. You're a very
weird bunch and like to put *everything* except ? and ! inside the quotes. But
you only do it to annoy.

+++ End of Useful Words +++

Can I second someone's emotion about rogue hairs?

Only this morning I pulled out one eyebrow hair that had got outRAGEously long.
Like something from The Fly. And I hadn't noticed it until just then, brushing
my teeth, staring at my reflection, lost in some early morning reverie
involving eyes and mirrors and dopey meta-level circular thoughts about eyes
seeing eyes seeing eyes, and then WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT? It's a half-inch long
hair that's TWICE as thick as the others and where did THAT come from, HMM? And
when I carefully appraised the other brow, THERE WAS ONE THERE TOO! Curled-up
and trying its best to disguise itself as a muggle hair, but definitely ALIEN!

Both of them, naturally, were ripped from my face, follicle and all. I can't be
doin' with that kind of rebellion on my own bake. I didn't get much sleep last
night, and I'm feeling very zonked today. I didn't need that kind of trauma.

I wonder when my ears will start getting all hairy. Maybe I have a few more
years before I have to start poking scissors in there. Or one of those buzzy
things. I still don't know what's up with that. What evolutionary purpose does
it serve? What's going to happen to me that my body thinks it will be better
served by huge handfuls of hair clogging up my lugs?

I am, however, going to buy the Langley Schools Music Project, just because I'm
a sucker for alternative marketing, and I'm wide open for the boys and girls of
sinister. Hurrah for orff-key singing (and crap puns).

Until anon,

- M.