Sinister: Sinister : My wandering (correction: sightseeing) days are almost about to begin

Simon Fallaha psi_fla at xxx.com
Wed Jul 10 17:33:44 BST 2002

Good evening everyone.

I have been rushed off my feet these last couple of
days, what with a job interview (the result of which
is still unknown) and another application. Such is
life when you're trying to find a one-year placement
in between your second and third years at uni, and
also when you're about to go on holiday for a month in
a couple of days.

But there is plenty to look forward to! I continue to
enjoy reading your posts. Anne, I'm sorry that I can
never agree with anyone who loves Fold Your Hands
Child, You Walk Like A Peasant. I'm not saying it's a
bad album, it just hasn't stuck in my memory. Seems a
bit bland and dragged out. No B & S album can compare
to If You're Feeling Sinister or The Boy With The Arab
Strap. (It was inspirational to choose the title track
of that album as the theme to Teachers, even though I
never watch it). Seems that most of you really enjoyed
the Glasgow picnic too.

A while ago I discovered a QuizYourFriends site, for
fun. They say it's best if you write quizzes about
yourself and send them to your friends, but you can
write any quiz you like here. I did one on myself (and
music, and films). And yes, I mentioned Belle &
Sebastian in about two of the questions.

Tonight I am finally seeing Storytelling! Critics'
reviews that I've read online seem to give a pretty
mixed opinion about it, but who knows? I wonder how
well B & S's music blends in with the film itself.
Speaking of films, I recommend Minority Report to all.
It's even better than Spider-Man (well, it has more
depth, anyway). It would have been the best film I'd
seen in a long, long time, if only it didn't drag
towards the end. Still excellent though. Ironically,
when I reviewed it (hopefully I'll get my reviews
website back online soon) I didn't count that as a
flaw. Probably cos I said that Amelie wasn't too
involving in parts when I first reviewed it, and then
when I watched it the second time I didn't notice
that.

There's a number of rock festivals across Europe that
I'm going to miss because of the upcoming long holiday
(which isn't only in Tunisia - it's Edinburgh first).
There's a particularly good one in Spain towards the
end of July. And The Divine Comedy are playing near
home while I'm away (I remember missing their
supposedly brilliant gig at the QUB last November
because of other commitments)! Ah well. Never mind.

What I heard from a friend yesterday was that parts of
the original Star Wars were filmed in the Tunisian
desert! That'll be interesting to see. Maybe it was
that area which represented Tatooine.

Anyway, must go.

Take care,

Psi