Sinister: hello hello

morgan a queencarrotflowers at xxx.com
Thu Jul 11 04:28:14 BST 2002

hi, i'm a new girl who's been sitting around on the
list for a while without the time or motivation to
write anything...until now. my excuses for this are
final exams and a trip to alaska - so i'm back in
seattle after three weeks of learning about oil
drilling in the arctic and watching herds of caribou
and muskoxen wander through the wilderness, and i'm
finally able to post a message:

i'm not really sure how i discovered belle &
sebastian, but they immediately rose to the status of
"my favorite band" (err, except for the beatles).
besides a few friends, most people seem to think i'm
weird, because i listen to "some scottish band that
they don't play on the radio..." (what they don't know
is that b&s is played on the radio - non-profit,
college radio (university of washington), not
corporate-mainstream-shit radio.) anyway, i'm happy
with the self-proclaimed label of "dork", which is the
short-answer explanation of my music tastes for
everyone who doesn't understand..."oh, you're a dork.
that explains it," and they walk away singing
"underneath your clothes..." or "what's luv..." i'm
not sorry to say that i don't understand or appreciate
rap. however, if anyone does, please, enlighten me.

i'm happy to report that the u.s. made it through
independence day without any attacks by scuba diving
terrorists. whew, what a relief; i was worried for a
second (i apologize for any undue sinicism, but the
press and that genius president of ours have left me
with no choice. as a side note: i realized today that
i don't think of george w. as president, but rather as
more of a mascot - representing the u.s., and serving
no real purpose other than showing up at public and
political events and giving pep talks...but enough of
the negative side of things. i love kraft macaroni &
cheese and jell-o pudding snax. yum. sorry...)

b&s could almost be described as an addiction.
something about the voice of stuart, the lyrics, the
instrumentation, and the music as a whole compels me
to listen over, and over, and over, and over again to
the point where i lose my desire to be social and hole
up in a corner with my diskman - there are few bands
whose music i can loose myself in...maybe you know the
feeling. between that, eating, sleeping, hunting for
quality lps at half-price books, and crew, my summer
is complete.

now that you're sufficiently bored (not my goal, i
assure you, but i have a feeling that may have been
the result of slogging through this whole thing), i
thank you for inspiring me with your own posts :)

for now,
morgan