Sinister: Then they go to Rough Trade...

Matthew Henderson lokar20 at xxx.com
Wed Jul 17 07:06:47 BST 2002

...to watch BELLE AND SEBASTIAN!!!

Somebody had to do it.  Congratulations guys.  Now, is MS. House still with
you?  Or was she a Jeepster thing?  I'd hate to see her go...

Relationships have been a troubling thing of recent.  A good friend of mine
had his heart broken by a girl this very day.  I've had my heart broken by
the fates.  My past relationships have been trivial at best.  There are
wonderful moments, but I always saw past them, wondering when that next
phase of my life was going to begin and everything would change.  That's
probably why I've been so quick to drop relationships in the past, hoping
that great change would come.  I've lived in Mobile for most of my life.  I
become used to it, and I really don't mind it at all anymore.  But there is
no future here, nothing for me.  It's been over two years since I've
graduated high school, and I've been attending the local University but for
no reason.  I never saw this school as a permanent fixture in my life.  I
never saw it as the next stepping stone for the rest of my life.  I've been
burning time.  Then it hit me to get out of America.  Get far away from
everything.  For several reasons, the University of Glasgow was appealing.
No, it's not because Belle and Sebastian are from there, but they played a
part...anyway, that's neither here no there. I applied, have been accepted,
and am scheduled to start in October.  The past 7 months has been a waiting
game...except it's much of a game.  Just waiting really.  In those seven
months, I've met a million very cool people and some of the best friends
I've ever known.  I got a job at the place I've been dying to get a job at
forever.  I basically do nothing all day, but watch movies, clean, and work
at a record store.  Then, a little over a month ago, I met a girl...

Yeah, how cliche.  I hate it myself.  But I must admit, I've never felt so
strongly about a girl so quickly.  She's made me happier than anybody ever
really has for a longer amount of time than anyone else.  Was that a run-on
sentence?  Well, for the first time ever, I don't want to move.  I don't see
how this can be anxiety, since I've been more than willing to move until
now.  Could it be love?  Maybe, I don't know.  I'm too cynical to love (on
the outside at least).  However things go, I'm not happy with the world, yet
I'm the happiest I've been in so long at the same time.  I hate this.  This
constant battle in my head.  Whenever I'm with her, I'm completely happy.  I
don't even think about smoking, which is crazy for me.  But when she's gone,
and sometimes, on those late night drives home where the orange street
lights manage to create a beat of shadows in tune with whatever song i'm
listening to on my dashboard, I think and I get very very depressed.
Sometimes, to the point of crying.  I love my friends, but I can leave them
and it's okay.  She's different.  She likes Tool and Jimmy Eat World, and
that doesn't matter.  It's bizarre, it's new, and it's wonderful.

Maybe a more romantic person wouldn't move.  A more romantic person would
follow their heart and stay with the girl.  I can't do that though.  Even if
I did, the emotional baggage and resentment that would eventually be placed
on the girl would be too much of a strain, but that's neither here nor there
(again).  I know this life is worthless to me.  This slacker lifestyle I'm
actually enjoying for once yields no future.  I don't know if moving away is
the answer, but there's a shot.  I just hate it.  I hate it to death.  Ho
hum.

I have less than two months left here.  Left with her.  I've been told to
make the most of it, make it the most wonderful two months of my life, end
the childhood Mobile phase of my life with a bang.  But it's difficult when
there's a humungous black cloud hovering over everything we do.  I just feel
gipped.  But, what are you gonna do, right?

This is all leading to...I'm going to be in Glasgow from August 3-11 at
least searching/acquiring a flat so I won't have to stay up every single
night in a 24 hour cafe.  If there are any pubnic/picnics/bitchin gigs I
need to check out/or anything at all going in those days, someone should
send me an email.  I forsee a lot of downtime in those days, and they need
to be filled.  Let's be honest, re-imagining the battle of Langside in my
head whilst I'm walking down Battlefield Rd. can only occupy me for 3 hours
at the most.

Sorry for the worthless post.  I can't find Storytelling anywhere to Rent in
Mobile, although certain Blockbusters are supposed to have it in.  I don't
want to buy it, since I've never seen it, but I hate being bested by the
system (i also love the irony of "beating the system" by BUYING the DVD and
giving them more money).  However, in my quest to find it, I listened to
Storytelling three times in a row, and finally love it.  How nice.  And you
know what, I even love the dialogue!

I'm sick and sad, and I want to swim with Caitlin Pigtails...
-Matt